Saturday, September 13, 2014

COMPENDIUM OF CURIOSITIES CHALLENGE ~ HALLOWEEN CANVAS

Happy Saturday and welcome to my blog!

I hope everyone is having a good week. The temperatures here are turning more fall like ... something I am really looking forward to!

It's time for another new Compendium of Curiosities III Challenge over at Linda's Studio L3. The challenges are based on the wonderful books featuring techniques and products of our favorite Vintage/Grunge/Distress Guy, Tim Holtz. How DO you describe him?

You guys are rockin' these challenges with some really amazing art! I truly mean that and THANK YOU for all of the very positive and complimentary comments!

Your Assemblage Clocks from the last challenge totally blew me away! I've never seen so many beautifully done clocks in one place ... EVER!  They are all so original and beautifully done! Choosing a winner is always so tough for the Curiosity Crew! You guys have NO IDEA! The effort that everyone is putting into your creations each week really inspires all of us.  It is so fun to share all of this amazing art!

That being said, turn to page 52 of your Compendium of Curiosities III book and check out this week's theme; "Effect Powders".  


My creation for this week is a 6" x 12" Halloween themed canvas. My inspiration for the canvas came from this sentiment that I saw on a plain little Halloween plaque at a store.  It "toadily" cracked me up and I knew that I wanted to make something fun with it.  
So ... here it is!

I will give you as many details as I can without "toadily" giving away the Effect Powders technique. I did several variations of the technique on my canvas.


This is where I began ... with Tim Holtz' spooky Iron Work Gate die cut on a piece of textured black cardstock. I swiped my Silver Paint Dabber over the entire surface to give the fence more of a metallic effect.  Here you see the fence half way completed. What a difference the swiped paint makes!


Next I added Distress Embossing Ink and Antiquities Verdigris Embossing Powder to give my fence a more aged and patina look.


Here is the finished fence. Love it!


Next I created Tim's creepy Headstone die cut from Plain Grungeboard and Weathered Wood Distress Embossing Powder.  Weathered Wood really is a pretty cool stone looking color and mixed with Black Soot Distress Ink, I think it came out looking like old weathered stone or concrete headstone.  I also added a touch of the Verdigris Embossing Powder over the Effect Powders technique to give a bit of a mossy, patina look to the headstone. I added the Mini Bat to the center of the headstone using the same techniques that I did on the headstone. Finally, I gently rubbed just a touch of Amber Green Treasure Gold Guilding Wax on some edges of the headstone and the bat. 


I was not sure where this canvas would end up when I started, so I also used the Effect Powders technique on these other Mini Bats and the dangling Spider I thought might come in handy.  I used Weathered Wood Distress Embossing Powder coupled with Black Soot Distress Ink on all of these. 

Now that most of my embellishments were finished, it was time to move on to creating the canvas.


I began with a 6" x 12" canvas. I covered it with Tim's Terminology Tissue Wrap and Matte Multi Medium. Once that was dry, I randomly added some "stones" to the perimeter using Wendy Vecchi's Brick Wall Stencil and her Crackle Texture Paste.  I love those things!  When that was dry, I added Tim's spooky Halloween themed Tissue Tape all around the edge of the canvas, completely securing it in place with 1/2" Scor Tape underneath.



By now, I was REALLY into the project and I wanted to get my hands all inky or painty.  So, I spritzed the canvas with water and mixed some Wild Honey Distress Paint and a little water on my Non Stick Craft Sheet. Let the finger painting begin!  I had so much fun covering the entire canvas, smearing the paint and water mixture all over it with my fingers.  When that was dry, I added some Rusty Hinge Distress Ink around the perimeter to deepen that orange-ish color and give more of a vintage feeling to the canvas.



Next I colored the "stones" with my Weathered Wood Distress Marker and gently tapped them with my Distress Embossing Ink Pad.  Then I pinched some Weathered Wood Embossing Powder between my fingers and sprinkled it over the stones. I brushed away any excess powder with a small paint brush.  Then I heat set it in place to give a rougher more stone like feeling.



I also added a bit of Embossing Ink around the edges of the canvas, sprinkled a little Weathered Wood Embossing Powder, brushed away any excess and heat set it in place. Then I added some Black Soot Distress Ink accents to all. I love the gritty, stone like look and feel of the edges.

Next I cut out all of the letters for my sentiment using Tim's Spooktacular alphabet die cut. I cut all of the letters out of textured black cardstock and set them to the side until I was ready to glue them in place.



 I LOVE my frog!  He's got some serious personality going on! I found him on the internet and sized him to fit behind the headstone. I backed him with kraft cardstock and then cut him out. I edged him with a Black Soot Distress Marker and gently covered him with Antique Linen Distress Ink to soften his pearly whites into a softer more vintage off white.  Before I glued him in place behind the headstone, I created a dimensional witch hat pattern out of the textured black cardstock and fashioned it for him. I added a bit of torn black tulle as a hat band.  I also added some Stardust Stickles to his "sparkle" of his smile.  Then I glued him in place behind the headstone and glued the headstone in place on the canvas.



Next I glued my little spooky dimensional tree that I found at the Dollar Store to the far left of my canvas. After gluing it in place, I could figure out the spacing for my letters.  The "13" is created from Tim's Mini Numerals that were heat embossed with Black Soot Distress Embossing Powder.  Once cool, I added some little black pop dots to the back. I laid out all of my letters and then systematically glued them all in place. Then I added the die cut Mini Bats. To make the letters even more dimensional, I added Glossy Accents over all of the letters. It didn't take them long to dry.

I added several layers of black pop dots behind sections of my fence and popped it into place in front of the tree and the headstone. The pop dots gave it added dimension.


After getting all of the canvas completed, I knew that I wanted to add a broom.  Therefore, I would need a place for broom to "park".  So, I hot glued these little skeleton hands that I have had for some time. I found them at Michaels. I added a bit of some mossy stuff that I found at the Dollar Store and glued the skull out on to the hands enough so that the broom handle would fit behind it.  The skull is a little plastic one that I had from Michaels.  I painted over it with an ivory acrylic paint and then washed it with a Burnt Umber and water mixture.


My broom was made from a stem of a flowering stem thing I had on hand.  The broom part of the broom were thin twigs that I actually cut off of a bigger broom looking thing that I had.  I hot glued the twigs around the stem and then wrapped them first with some twine and then with some orange raffia. Done! ... and so easy!


My little tree looked a little "naked" so I added a scrap of tea dyed cheesecloth I had laying around. Better!


Here is a closeup of my funny violating frog, stylin' in his witch's hat with his crafty little grin.  He seems to be getting a chuckle out of the sentiment, too!


Here is my finished canvas with no broom in place. I love the skeleton hands! They add a lot of dimension and fun to the canvas.


And here is the canvas with the broom resting securely in the skeleton hands. I better hurry up and finish this blog post!  I only have 13 minutes and then I may be "toad"!

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me share this tutorial with you.  I hope that I've inspired you to jump into your Compendium of Curiosities book and check out the Effect Powders technique.  IT'S NOT HARD AT ALL!  Then create something wonderful using the technique and link it up to the challenge. You could be our lucky winner of either a very generous ...

http://www.inspirationemporium.com/

or a treasure trove of Tim Holtz products donated by the man himself!  

Have fun with this challenge!  
I can't wait to see everyone comes up with this time around.

GOOD LUCK!






 


71 comments:

  1. This canvas is amazing!!! I love the effect of the Antiquities Veidigris embossing powder. I must find this color. So many details. the fence, tombstone, mr frogs hat. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Candy, this is just wonderful!! Love the Verdigris effect you have managed to create with the powders, such a wonderful Halloween piece all together and yes, that sentiment is brilliant, one to remember!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous design and techniques Candy and the saying us brilliant, love it.
    Have a great weekend.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. As ever you take Tim's techniques and give us so many more ideas for using them Candy! LOVE the brick wall on the canvas and the way you've altered the tombstone. And the wording... that SO made me laugh! Loving this. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candy I LOVE THIS! I always seem to get a laugh out of witches parking they're brooms up. lol. This one is no different in that I had a chuckle as soon as I read the sign. You have put together a very interesting piece. The frog is absolutely perfect. I now have Verdigris on my wish list, it looks amazing. I can just imagine the witch inside the shop ordering her Pagan Roots and Witch Hazel and coming out to find her broom has been toad. Beautifully done Candy!! Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Halloween project - one of my favorite holidays. The fence turned out amazing. I need to search my embossing powder drawer and see if I have Verdigris and if not I have some shopping to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Candy this really made me smile that smiling frog is just fab and perfect combined with that fantastic text. This is such a fun humorous piece. I love the embossing powders and everything is aged beautifully. Adore the old looking headstone too. Fantastic techniques beautifully executed as always. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, you make it seriously hard to get through all the blogs and comment because I want to close my laptop and go try the techniques in your tutorial!! I can't wait to go and use the brick stencil with color and Distress Powder to get that authentic brick look. Can I just come and sit in the corner of your studio while you work? I'll be quiet as a mouse. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great sign and sentiment! Love all the techniques you used on it too as well as the bright colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sentiment just cracked me up Candy! what a fun spooky plaque! Love the fence, bats and tombstone - they look wonderful using this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so very cute and made me smile out loud this morning! Had to comment to tell you that your instructions were great, the sentiment was terrific, and I didn't notice how beautiful the fence was until I came to your blog and the step outs. I want to make this now! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is hysterical and very creative! I think the toad's glittering smile really caps off the canvas! You've added so much dimension with your elements...I feel as if I could walk into the space.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Candy - This made me chuckle!! I love all the details and clever saying. I always love your work and this is no exception. Thanks for sharing all the details with us. Just goes to show that you can have cute and scary all in one piece. Also, thanks for your nice comments on my blog, it is appreciated.

    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very funny! Your toad definitely has some attitude and is just waiting for the time limit to run out on that broom.Wonderful use of texture and embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh...your sentiment blew me away!!! I love how you think, and am envious of that imagination! This belongs in a Disney movie! Awesome project Candy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I "toadly" love your project - the best halloween sign ever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Candy, I can see you have absolutely adored making this, as there is so much fun and lovingly made pieces on this project. Totally awesome !
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun, fun, fun! Each detail is great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The sentiment really made me smile, I just love it, it is so clever and funny! The canvas background looks wonderful and that frog is just such a cheeky character with his big grin. The broom is brilliant and I love the hands for the 'parking space'. Being a huge lover of Halloween, I adore the skull too! Everything about this canvas is just wonderful.

    Thanks so much too for your lovely comments, I really do appreciate them. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you had a wee bit of FUN with this one... I love the whole thing... I think the FROG is YOU...(although you aren't Green!!!!LOL) so much fun girl... I love him..or her... such a great piece of ART Candy... I think the humor behind it is great too... love those bricks... whose stencil is that... Love the whole thing... but then again... is that any surprise... I LOVE and adore all of your work/Play...this is just another GREAT piece... Love, Light and Peace... Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ummm. This. Is. So. Fun. Cutest sign ever!!! I know your grands are going to love!!!! I want to try your stencil technique too!!! You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Candy...this was me...signed into the wrong account at the time! LOL...STILL loving your sign!!!!

      Delete
  22. This is AWEsome, So way out but fun and spooky at the same time. The effects you've achieved are inspiring. I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun piece!. Especially love the effect on the fence and tombstone. Your toad is "toadally" adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOWWWW Cheryl this is one awesome Halloween project, I love the step by step instructions and the finished article made me laugh as well as fill me with so much admiration of your crafting talents.
    hugs
    lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic canvas, I love the text!!

    Thank you so much for leaving a lovely comment on my blog

    Happy Monday!

    Hugs from

    Bridie@BGPayne Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fabulous canvas, clever you :D I love all the details and your sentiment just cracks me up :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is such a cool creation, Candy! Love your message and I can't take my eyes off that gorgeous antiqued gate. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so tickled... absolutely love the sentiment... you rocked that fence and tomb stone and the cheese cloth in the tree idea AWESOME ... oops I'm over parked ( checking out every detail ... just amazing ) gotta go !

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your sign! It's very clever! Love the bricks and the iron gate is cool! Very cute sign project! Love the toad too! Thanks for the detailed instructions! So many cool things! The verdigris power is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an awesome Halloween project! I love that picket fence and the toad is adorable! The constructed 3-D hat is so clever, and using the cheesecloth in the tree is just the perfect touch! All of this is a sight to see! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How cute is this. I love Halloween and all the decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Candy, that is so cool! I love the lettering. Love the whole inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a gorgeous Halloween project, Candy! I love every detail. The picket fence looks fantastic!

    Gaby xo

    ReplyDelete
  34. how stinking cute is that ickle broom!!! Looks just like the one I flap about on over here lol Another fabby creation Candy x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Candy, I love your Halloween project! All the little details equal one big impact! Oh and that broom on the edge is fabulous! Great effect with the fence and headstone and that froggy is hopping adorable! I found some hands at Michael's this weekend, but I think larger. Love this much my spooky friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my goodness, how fun is this, Candy? I love it! I'm gonna have to get some of that Verdigris powder. It works so well with the Distress Embossing Powders.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Candy your wall hanging turned out great! I love your verse and the little Toad! Great
    powder choices as well. Love all the little details! REally makes it a very fun piece.
    Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow! You pulled out all the stops!!! Your frog has the perfect expression, and I love the bricks along the edges. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh candy oh Candy....this is such fun and a wonderful decor piece. You have such a wonderful imagination.......love it

    Huge hugs to you and the family

    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  40. I LOVE THIS! When I read it the first time, it made me howl....I laughed so hard and showed it to my husband! Too perfect.... I'm hoping to use your inspiration to create a similar design for my home.

    ReplyDelete
  41. One word : incredible! this halloween project amaze me, as always! LOve all little details and I love your tutorial for the use of this embossing powder! Gorgeous! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow, this is really amazing ! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh, Candy--THIS IS TOADALLY AWESOME!! LOL! :) This is the cutest Halloween canvas! You've really done the challenge proud with this!! The fence looks like iron, the headstone looks like granite--it's all FaBOOlous ;) :) XOXO-Shari T.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh, Candy--This Is TOADALLY Awesome!! :) LOL!! You've done the challenge proud with this darling Halloween canvas! The fence looks like wrought iron, the headstone looks like granite-everything is FaBOOlous!! XOXO-Shari T.

    ReplyDelete
  45. How clever and terrific is this , running out of adjectives with you guys ! Love the toad away ! And the fence is so cute. Thanks for sharing this x

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow, I would like to own a broom to fly around :-) and of course just such a traffic sign!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh my goodness, I love your broom parking sign, how fun!! I love the skeleton hands coming out from underneath too.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love the broom parking, I might have to borrow that. Thanks for the lovely inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  49. The smiling frog make me laugh in combination with the perfect text.Fabulous!!! Hugs, Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love this frog he is just so full of mischief. What a wonderful piece of halloween artiness.

    ReplyDelete
  51. What a cheeky froggy person. I love the signage perfect for halloween

    ReplyDelete
  52. What a bad pun -- it cracks me up! The headstone turned out so realistic, but my favorite part is definitely the patina fence.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Mmmm, this verdigrey is amazing. It reminded me of a green patina technique, I did long time ago without all the bothersome steps of actually oxidizing the metallic paint... I love it. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  54. This is absolutely brilliant and so funny too! I adore your frog. He makes me smile and reminds me of Michigan J. Frog from Looney Tunes.

    I love the overall design of the piece. Your attention to detail is astounding. The textures, colors, and embellishments (especially the skeleton hands) come together and sing.

    Your post made me giggle too. I love your use of the word "thing".

    I think I'm your newest fan girl. Scratch that. I KNOW that I'm your newest fan girl! :D

    ReplyDelete
  55. OMG .. your project is too cute ! I "toad-ally" love it. :) The silver on the fence really made a huge difference. I learn so many things from "the Crew" .. thank you for that !!

    ReplyDelete
  56. This made me giggle. I love your slightly smarmy frog :)
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  57. I can't tell you how happy your frog canvas makes me, Candy! It is beyond clever! You always include the most amazing detail on all your work!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Oh my, so many wonderful pieces created with this technique! I love your creativity Candy!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. OMG!!! This is seriously so cute and funny! I love it! Wonderful detail, love the fence! Gorgeous as always, Candy! Thanks so much!~kim

    ReplyDelete
  60. What a cheesey look on the frog's face, no wonder you couldn't resist a project featuring him. Love your work on the canvas. You are always so clever and talented. I am always anxious to see what you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Love this project Candy! the mixed powders create a fabulous effect on the ironwork and tomb stone, love it ! x

    ReplyDelete
  62. This is the most amazing project!! The work in it is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  63. You really rocked this technique. Your canvas is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  64. You really rocked this technique. Your canvas is so cool.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!