Thursday, March 13, 2014

A VINTAGE JOURNEY TAG FRIDAY


Stamp your passport for A VINTAGE JOURNEY into Tag Friday.

(Original tag on the left, smudged tag on the right)

I literally just received more of Tim Holtz' brand new stamp sets and couldn't wait to play with them.  I also wanted to join in on his March 2014 tag technique and challenge.  This month, it's the smudge technique.  Check out his challenge for all of the details and to link up your creation to his challenge. 


I began with two #8 Manila Tags.  The coating on these tags allows you to do all sorts of fun things using inks and paints that some other "manila" paper may not.  I stamped the ink bottle from Tim's Typography stamp set onto the tags using Jet Black Archival Ink. It is a wonderful permanent black ink. Again, check out Tim's blog for the "smudging" technique.


I added a feather from Tim's Nature Walk stamp set to create a quill pen effect coming out of the ink bottle.  Since the feather is much longer than I needed, I simply masked the bottle right at the top and stamped my feather.  The left bottle has been stamped.  I am in the process of adding the feather to the top of the bottle on the right. You can see the feather stamp attached to my Grid Block and a scrap tag placed along the edge of the bottle to protect it from the part of the feather stamp that I do not want included.


I did a couple of my steps in creating my tags different than what Tim shows on his blog, but it really didn't make any difference.  So, whatever floats your boat!  Here I have added "JOURNAL" - a partial stamp from Classics #1 stamp set (stamped in Jet Black Archival) and the top butterfly on the vertical collage of butterflies from Tim's Papillon stamp set. I used Wendy Vecchi's Cornflower Blue Archival Ink to stamp the butterfly and added the Rusty Hinge Distress Ink accents to is using Detailer Water Brush. The bottle has also been colored in using the Detailer Water Brush. The bottle colored first with Tea Dye and then highlights of Rusty Hinge. I wanted it to have sort of an amber glass feeling. Next the label was colored using Fired Brick and Broken China


Next I blended lighter colors of Distress Inks in the background to pull everything together; first Pumice Stone then Scattered Straw followed by Broken China Distress Ink colors. I then added some darker Distress Inks; Gathered Twigs followed by a touch of Black Soot around the edges to warm everything up, give more of a vintage look and give the edges some distinction.


To add a very cool background effect, I laid my new Latticework Stencil on top of my tags and using a Stormy Sky Distress Marker and my new Tim Holtz Marker Spritzer, I created a dimensional patterned background that is subtly there but adds so much!  (See Tim's blog for a video of how the Marker Spritzer works. It is SO EASY!)


Next I wanted to add a little more dimension to my tag so I stamped the butterfly image from Papillon again on to Wendy Vecchi's Clearly For Art Modelling Film using Stazon Jet Black Solvent Ink. Then I gently heat set it, cut out the butterflies, heated them up again and molded their wings to bend slightly forward.  I added some Cornflower Blue behind them and glued them (using Glossy Accents) on top of my butterfly on the tag. The slight lift of their wings adds some nice interest.


I also added some pens that I made from clipping a small dowel rod into two pieces, coloring them with Gathered Twigs Distress Paint followed by some Rusty Hinge Distress Ink.  The Pen Nibs were altered by dabbing the metal with a Gold Paint Dabber and a little Pitch Black Paint on the tip area.  I loosened the prongs on the back side of the Pen Nibs with some needle nose pliers, added a little Glossy Accents to the top of the dowel rods and slipped them into place inside of the prongs.  Then I closed the prongs.  I added the string around the bottom of the pen nibs to create a better transition from wood to metal and added the Type Charm. BUT ... instead of using the letters that come with the Type Charms, I used the larger of the circle images from Tim's Custom Fasteners.  They are the same size as the Type Charms! Coincidence?  Probably not.  But I love how they look on the pens!


I wanted to add something really fun to the bottom of my tag so I cut two Pediments out of Grungeboard.  I first painted them with Wendy Vecchi's Crackled Texture Paste and let that dry. Once dry, I added some Scattered Straw followed by Antique Linen Distress Ink.  At the edges, I added some Gathered Twigs followed by Black Soot just on the edges.  Then I turned the Pediments upside down and added the telegram stamp from Tim's Mercantile stamp set.  The are set in place with 1/4" Scor Tape (double sided tape).


I added the "fine rubber stamps" image from Tim's Mercantile and pop dotted them on top of the pen that was glued onto the tag using Glossy Accents.  They were stamped with Jet Black Archival on top of manila cardstock that was lightly distressed with Gathered Twigs. The edges were inked with Black Soot after being cut out. Finally, I added some black "smudges" of my own to the top of the tag using my finger and a bit of Pitch Black Paint.  I also added a bit of black ribbon to both tags.  All done! 

I will be linking these up to Tim's 12 Tags of 2014 Challenge.  I invite you to play along with his challenge as well as experiment with his smudge technique.  It is easy and fun!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today.  I hope that you have checked out the other examples of Tim style tags that your other Creative Guides have prepared just for you over at A Vintage Journey!  

Have a wonderful weekend! 



45 comments:

  1. Fabulous tags, Candy! I love what that stencil adds. Love these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh...I just love you...oh I mean these tags. I'm am WAITING for these stamps to make it my way. LOVE them! You've used these beautifully. Have you seen the new Prima altered metal frames? I would love to see you do something with that TV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, simply gorgeous! I clearly need to pull out my pediments and use them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I suppose since I live on the grungy side that drooling is OK and even lady like! Candy, these tags are spectacular in every way! I love your take on Tim's March tag and that bottle is to die for! Seriously, I have the Mercantile set shortly arriving and now I am thinking I need this as well! The old time vintage feel is captured so beautifully! I also have neglected those pediments and have been inspired! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my these are just so gorgeous Candy, I love watching each layer of stamping and colour unfold as you create your amazing designs. You always whet my appetite and inspire me to create and I want to be at my work table right now making more tags and having fun. Thanks for the process steps and ideas. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tags!
    Sadly I can't take part as I am with my sister & not home with my craft toys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems I mis read that & the challenge doesn't start yet!!! Great now I won't miss out 😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Candy this tag i simply amazing!!!! I absolutely adore it, so many fabulous details and a brilliant step by step! Love what you did with the Pediment die, and that dimensional butterfly looks brilliant! LOVE your tag big time and that Typography set is now top of my wishlist. You have totally inspired me with this tag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGoodness!!! Candy, your tags are sensational! I love that new Typography stamp set so much and you have used it perfectly with the feather. I am in Tim heaven looking at these tags, you are so wonderfully creative. I think Tim will love these every bit as much as I do. I love the pen you created, the pediments look amazing and you have got that smudge stamping down to a fine art - wow! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candy I love your take on the tag, the gorgeous use of colour ..and I love how you have used the die cuts at the bottom..and wow didn't know the custom fasnter fit in the type charms, how cool is that! great tags and great eye for detail as always x hugs x Trace x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous Tag Candy and great take on Tim's I adore the stamps you have used.
    Have passport for A Vintage Journey!
    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  12. How come my jaw always drops when I see your work Candy! LOVE the design on these. That writing theme with the pen and bottle is beautiful. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW Candy, beautifully done once again. Love the composition and the coloring. The use of the pediment is so unique. Thanks for the idea ; )

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are superb Candy. The pen and charm and those gorgeous pediments and everything else really looks brilliant. Thanks as always for lovely clear step x step. Happy Weekend! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are beautiful Candy! Love the imagery and the colours you've used and great use of the pediment die. Fabulous! Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. How beautiful, Candy! Love how you used the CFA and the stamping on the pediments... super tags!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool! I like all the unusual ways in which you used the pediments to add interest to your tags. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love BOTH tags! These are such fabulous images and you have colored them so beautifully. I don't know which one I like better - they are both lovely. Your pen is such a clever addition. And now you have made me want to grab one of the distress marker spritzers out of my shop inventory - I THOUGHT I could live without it - LOL! TFS!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow Candy! Two absolutely fabulous tags! Gorgeous images and what fabulous colouring …… and now I want those pediments! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my word, Candy - these are utterly stunning! The colours are just brilliant, both in the full-on version and in the beautiful faded second stamping... Fantastic stamp choices - how cool is that bottle (thought I didn't "need" that set - botheration!) - and the spritzing through the stencil is deliciously subtle. Just glorious!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous take and inspiration too Candy! Love the combination of images and the smudge stamping!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Candy, your take on Tims tags are just beautiful, loving the pediment die cuts on the bottom of them and I adore the addition of the pens. They are both so nice I can't decide which I like best between them. Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  23. i too JUST got my stamps in time to join in this tag challenge. I dont have distress inks though so couldnt do the actual technique. yours have turned wonderfully and as always you have put your own personal spin on them. love the diecuts turned upsides down and put on the bottom instead of the going with the norm :)
    Z x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous Candy. Love this technique and your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love them both! I'm so wanting to find the time to give this a try. I've been waking up at 3:30 in every morning for some insane reason, and by 4 in the afternoon, I am worthless. Love the colors, the clever "quill" you created and the wonderful air brushing. I did just order that spritzer and I can't wait to take it for a test drive. Your use of the pediment dies is wonderful....everything about these tags is wonderful! I'm always inspired when I visit your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love BOTH of your tags! I used an acetate butterfly on my second one too! I love how heating it makes it come to life :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Both your tags are stunning Candy...awesome details and I love what you created using the pen nibs...genius !!.
    Have agreat weekend and huge hugs

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE, love love your version of Tim's March tag, Beautiful work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are fabulous, but I must say I like it both ways! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Miss Candy, eeekkkksss I love your 2 tags, brilliant idea to add the feather, I love it, the background you created is just stunning, love the dictionary pages you added, love, love, love those pens, the bottom part is fabulous, love the detail with the rubber stamps sign, those little glass bobs, these are so gorgeous, creative, inspirational, thanks for all of that, have a wonderful week, ((( BIG HUGS )))...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Holy cow, Candy! I am such a writing nerd that I literally started drooling when I saw these tags (it wasn't pretty- I assure you)! I LOVE how you attached sticks to the pen nibs and made them even fancier on the tips. Genius times a million! It's always a joy to see the little touches you think of that bring each piece to life. And are you kidding me?? Misting a marker? You can't see me right now, but I am bowing to you on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  32. CAndyI I'm here!!!! Excuse my delay and my discontinuities in the comments but I'm pretty busy with the family! So I use my spare time to comment on all the wonders that I see in the web! Amazing project as always, fantastic tutorial, you're always one of the most incredible creative!! I'm really happy that you have started the adventure of your beautiful blog, "A vintage journey", it's really wonderful, and you are all fantastic artists! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow.. both tags are fantastic, Candy. The colors and stamping are just stunning. Love your wonderful project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow!! So inventive,and unique, Candy. My fave is the pale one, so soft and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Candy - you just have to win with this - its the one that I liked the best from all the entries over there at the TH blog. You have absolutely taken everything to whole new level here. I am in absolute lust! I just got some new stamps and STENCILS and a spritzer as well - I have been waiting for stencils for a year!!!! I am so excited and want to make another tag. I already entered a tag this month though so I might just make one for fun for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  36. They're both fabulous, Candy. So sharp! And now I do believe I ***need*** the feather stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Honestly Candy ... how much creativity can one person hold?!?!? With each post, I see something absolutely amazing on your blog. This time it's those pens with the charms on the butterflies. That is sooooooo coooooool!! Gorgeous way you wrapped the string to hold the charm. Love the Cleary for Art on the butterfly. Just stunning! And you have seriously mastered that smudge stamping technique of Tim's. I go through so many tags when I try this. Your tag really is gorgeous!!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving me such kind words. It was like a ray of sunshine in my day! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  38. My favourite tags so far Candy - Love them - you definitely mastered the stamping - I think I need more stamps! these are fab. I love the addition of the ink pen embellishment too. Can you tell I love them ;-) Hugs Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  39. I keep coming back to look at these - they are so awesome - I know I already told you that I love them but I want to tell you again how much I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  40. You're such a show off!!! And I mean that in the nicest way!!! What a fabulous set of tags! Seriously, deep love for these!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!