Saturday, July 19, 2014

COMPENDIUM OF CURIOSITIES CHALLENGE III ~ PAINTED INDUSTRIAL PAPER DOLL

Hello fellow Tim Holtz lovers!  Welcome to my blog and my newest piece that I've created for the Lovely Linda Ledbetter's Compendium of Curiosities III Challenges.  

I am just returning from an "EPIC" trip to Paris, France and then onto Germany! I adore Europe, even though I had only been there once before. I am always mesmerized by the incredible history, the timeless architecture, the sights and sounds of the bustling European cities and the serenity of the rolling hills and small villages of the countryside. I don't like to "advertise" when I am away from home for obvious reasons but I'm back now and need to get caught up on my comments and replies while I was away.  Thank you all so much for comments left about my altered burlap canvas piece! I am thrilled that so many people liked it! And ...

Thank you so much for your continued support to the entire Curiosity Crew!  We so much appreciate all of your positive comments about our projects that we create to inspire you and hopefully educate you about a Tim technique or product that you may have questions about or been afraid to try.

This week, the Curiosity Crew is taking you to page 46 of Tim's Compendium of Curiosities Volume III.  It's all about his Painted Industrial technique.  I LOVE this technique! Whether you love to do steampunk inspired pieces or down and dirty metallic grunge, this technique is AWESOME and so much fun!


I made a gift envelope this week with a grungy Painted Industrial background and then mixed it with a totally opposite fun and funky Julie Nutting Mixed Media Paper Doll Stamp.  This is to show you that you can mix styles and still be just fine. I think the embossed painted industrial background gives my paper doll some extra "sass"...not to mention the way I've changed up her sweet, demure look with an embossed metal bodice and layered Melissa Frances zippered ribbon skirt. 


The envelope started out as a kraft colored plain 8 3/4" x 3 3/4" envelope.  I covered it with my embossed metallic background done with two of Tim's Texture Fades: Subway on the front and Riveted Metal on the back.

You can follow along in Tim's book to see exactly how the background was achived but I can tell you that I used Ranger's Foil Tape Sheets, the Texture Fades, my Vagabond to emboss the images and then Pitch Black and Juniper Paint Dabbers to colorize my metal. I love the aged, patina look that results from Tim's technique. 

(Back view)

Once the panels were completed, I simply glued them in place on top of the kraft envelope.  I then cut a 1/4" strip of the Foil Tape Sheet and added it to each long end of the envelope.  I finished it in the same manner that I did the panels.  This gave the edges that folded metal, finished look. I simply brushed the flap at the top on both sides with Silver Distress Paint and then lightly distressed it with Black Soot when dry.  I also added three Washers and three Long Fasteners to the bottom of the back (before I glued the embossed panel in place on the kraft envelope) and gave them a patina look with the Juniper paint from the Dabber (using my finger to apply the paint).


I used Jet Black Archival Ink to stamp my paper doll onto Specialty Stamping Paper and heat set it. Then I added the skin tones using Tattered Rose and Scattered Straw Distress Inks mixed together using a Detailer Water Brush.  I added a little more Tattered Rose to her cheek area and for highlights on her arms and legs.  Her hair was colored with Scattered Straw and touches of Tea Dye and just a hint of Vintage Photo for shading. 


I then stamped just the dress portion onto some scrap paper to use as a pattern to create my paper dolls' funky attire.


I first added the two little Melissa Frances pearls to the chest area of the bodice to give my paper doll a bit more "lift"...if you catch my drift. (smile) I then added the embossed metal foil sheet over the top.  The bodice was done with Tim's Damask Texture Fade on silver metal foil that was then wiped with a Gold Paint Dabber on the high areas. Next I cut four strips of Melissa Frances zipper ribbon and beginning at the bottom, I layered them on top of each other to create the ruffled skirt. I secured each layer using 1/4" Scor Tape. 


Using my Tim Holtz Kraft Knife, I made a small slit between her arm and bodice on the one side. I cut out the triangle made by her bended arm on the other side. Then I wrapped a small chain around her waist a couple of times and made a knot in the chain. At each end of the chain, I added a Mini Gear using a small Jump Ring. 


I wanted my paper doll to display even more of a funky attitude so using a Micron Permanent Black Ink Pen, I drew fishnet leggings on her legs. I added the black laced high tops rather than the cute little Mary Jane type of shoes on the stamp. 


To finish her off, I added Tim's Ideaology metallic Arrow that has been painted first with Broken China Distress Paint and then highlighted with a Juniper Paint Dabber. I added a few black pop dots on the underneath side and hot glued into place going across her body. She is glued in place using regular glue. Finally, I added a dimensional head piece to her head using a really lacy, neat little metallic piece from the Funkie Junkie Boutique (one of our generous sponsors) and a sweet little light pink colored rose like button that I had in my stash of stuff. The metal piece bends very easily, so I was able to give it a more dimensional look before I hot glued it into place. 


Since my paper doll has a sassy attitude, she needed a sentiment and some embellishments that coordinated with her.  I used a piece of Tim's Filmstrip Ribbon and stamped "ATTITUDE" on it using Black Stazon Ink and a little set of alphabet letters that I had. Underneath the filmstrip ribbon, I distressed a piece of white cardstock first with Broken China and then a light touch of Peacock Feathers Distress Inks. I cut the strip to 1/2" wide, the width of the filmstrip ribbon and distressed the edges with a Chestnut Roan Cats Eye Ink Pad.  Then, using touches of Glossy Accents (it dries clear), I glued "ATTITUDE" in place on top of the colored cardstock to make it stand out. I glued that in place on my envelope.

I added a bit of the Juniper Paint Dabber to three sewing bobbins and then hot glued them into place on top and to the side of my "ATTITUDE" filmstrip ribbon. Then I added the gold ball chain to wrap around the sewing bobbins.  You can actually move the chain around the bobbins if you want to!  To the sewing bobbins, I added an Enamel Charm that has Remnant Rubs words on it with a Jump Ring. I also added a vintage type pin to the bottom left bobbin and hung a Mini Gear from it.  The gear was given a patina look with the Juniper paint from the dabber (using my finger). 



Finally, I added the sentiment at the top.  It is a combination of two sayings from Dyan Reaveley's The Right Words and Say It How It Is stamp sets. They are stamped onto the same distressed white cardstock that I used on "ATTITUDE". I touched up the cut edges of the sentiments with my Black Soot Distress Marker to blacken the white edges of the cardstock. I popped the sentiment in place using black pop dots. 



This gift envelope would be a unique way to celebrate someone you know in a special way. You could stuff a card in here, add a gift card and even add a special letter or note. What a fun way to let someone know you're thinking of them!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I encourage you to check out the other Curiosity Crew's Painted Industrial projects and then join us at The Compendium of Curiosity III Challenge! This weeks' sponsor are the wonderful and generous people at Inspiration Emporium!

http://www.inspirationemporium.com/

 Just for entering our challenge, you might be the lucky winner of their most generous $50.00 gift certificate to spend at their store!  

And ... as an added bonus ... Tim and Mario have generously donated a treasure trove of Tim Holtz products so that we can have a second winner randomly drawn each challenge. This lucky winner will receive a wonderful array of his products...a really NICE prize package! 

So, turn to page 46 in your Compendium of Curiosities III book and be on your way to entering our challenge!  

GOOD LUCK!!

102 comments:

  1. Candy,
    Wow! What an awesome tag. I love the mix of 'soft' and 'hard' to reach a beautiful balance. It is perfectly in lone with the message on your tag. The skirt is gorgeous as is the color palette. I love it. Hope you had an amazing time on your trip, it sounds incredible. I can't wait until my kiddos are a bit older so we can start to travel again. Good luck getting reacclimated to home life 😉.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy this is just BRILLIANT! I love your patina and the girl fits in so well. Thanks for reminding us that we can mix and match. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A visit to your blog always has me mouthing wow! This is another fantastic project... Love that skirt! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love the sassy attitude of your paper doll, and the color pallet is amazing. Definitely need to get the Juniper paint dabber to add to my stash after seeing this. All the details you added are amazing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I'm so envious of your trip! Welcome back, and what a cool project you made this time! I love the zipper skirt; it's a neat idea. Can't wait to try this technique; you and the rest of the gals inspire me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your dolly with attitude, loving the cute shoes too. Very clever , thanks for the inspiration as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you took a "soft" stamp and turned her into a "steampunk" girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Candy, welcome back. I love this. I adore her tights and high tops , they made me smile. Her skirt is fantastic and I love how you have her an industrial makeover to coordinate with the fabulous backdrop. Love the lettering and enamelled tag too.very creative. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Candy, welcome back from your European trip. Wow, what can I say about this awesome piece, this is absolutely fantastic! The wonderful detail on your doll is incredible and the use of the sewing bobbins is magical. Wonderful inspiration - thanks so much for sharing. Jean.x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word - what a brilliant alternative take on the Nutting dolls - love your steampunk industrial version - she's fabulous!

    Sounds like you had an amazing trip - so glad!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once again You have blown me away! I don't know where to begin. I just love it all. The Painted Industrial technique is so cool. Your envelope is perfect. I can't tell you how much I love Julie Nutting's dolls. (No, sadly, we aren't related.) You have given Olive so much sass, I hardly recognize her. The zipper ribbon skirt with the gears is brilliant. Tim's filmstrip with "attitude" is perfect, as are the bobbins and chain. Love how you combined Dyan's stamps for the top sentiment.
    I hope you enjoyed your lovely trip. Sounds heavenly. I do so enjoy your blog. I have woefully neglected mine, a hospital stay, moving, end of the school year & now summer school have sadly consumed my time. Can't wait to get my craft area organized and start playing again. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You would make a great fashion designer too, my friend. That's an excellent composition you put together for the tag design too, and maybe this time I'll get around to participating in this exciting challenge. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Candy this really does have ATTITUDE!!! I LOVE the flipping out of the skirt!!! Really wonderfully flirty... so cute... the whole tag is really detailed and filled with all kinds of things that I love to put all over my projects... love the plaque with the little words... love it all... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is amazing. I love every little detail. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Gabbi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh! I am SO coming to your house to play!!!!!!!!! You have the coolest ideas!!! The zipper skirt just ratchets up the attitude. Thank you for sharing the idea that mixing styles can be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Candy! This rocks! LOVE her outfit, and I can't believe you drew the fishnets....looks like a stamp! Love the background and bobbins too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is fantastic, I love how you've taken the spools and wrapped chain around them and your doll, with her dress is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how sweet and I just love what you did with the zippers! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Where to start?…each little detail of your "envelope" is more amazing than the next!! the spools, the skirt, the fish nets, EVERYTHING! Looks like it was so much fun to make. I would have never thought of decorating an envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Candy, oh my dear, you once again have blown me away with your creativity. This is such a fun piece and I'm so happy you shared all the lovely details (I hadn't initially noticed that her bodice was also done with the technique.) Fabulous! I love the final touch of Juniper paint to pull it all together. Simply adore this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your little gal and her outfit! Very clever! Love the little bobbins as gears. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE this tag. I have all the Julie Nutting dolls and have so much fun making tags with them. Her zipper ribbon dress is too cool. I have a long piece of this same ribbon in my stash and had no idea what to do with it - but now I am so inspired. Thanks for creating and sharing this wonderful project.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Simply ADORABLE! I love, love, love her skirt!!!!!

    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Candy, I LOVE how you mixed things up with your beautiful tag. The background is fantastic on it's own but the addition of the word attitude, the bobbins, the arrow and then the Julie Nutting doll is so clever. I love her fishnet leggings and the skirt made from the zipper looks fabulous! All in all, a wonderful way to show off Tim's Painted Industrial technique.

    So pleased that you enjoyed your trip to Europe, we have some ancient relics here in England too (me included - lol) - I hope we see you here one day too. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, great combination. I love how you changed up the doll.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Candy, this is such a wonderful and fun tag!! Love whit you did with the doll, that dress is inspired!!

    Glad to hear you had such a good time on your trip too and welcome back!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG She IS FABULOUS... love the zipper dress... genius ! Bobbin embellishments so cool ... she's got ATTITUDE with a capital " A" !!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very beautiful Candy. I love the combination of styles

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very beautiful. Candy. I love the combination of styles

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love, Love, LOVE this piece. Such a great combination of funky, sassy, and grungy with so many wonderful details.

    The bobbins with the chain is a touch of genius! Now I just need to find metal bobbins! :D

    Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes you are Candy!! Fabulous that is!
    What an ingenious tag! I love all the gadgetry- her skirt is too Kool! I'd wear it!
    Well done Candy!! ") xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is absolutely gorgeous! Great use of a sweet paper doll stamp...you really gave her sass!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fabulous gift envelope Candy ! Love how you've transformed the doll and the background metal is fantastic ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is awesome Candy - I love every little detail! Love the spools detail - the zipper skirt - the colour combination - the pretty paper doll with the metal industrial background…..everything! AWSOME! TFS hugs Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my word! I LOVE this! I love the Julie Nutting Dolls and this is one of my faves!!! You have definitely sassed her up! hehehe. Your background is fabulous and the 'attitude' stamped on the filmstrip...well...genius! love the little mechanical element within that as well. OH...this rocks girl! LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. The painted industrial makes a perfect backdrop for you doll, I LOVE every little detail of the piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such a great envelop, loved the subway embossing and all the fine details with the embellishments so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow Candy, that is amazingly beautiful! I love each and every detail you've put into it.
    Totally inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. OMG--Those ARE sewing bobbins!! Totally cool, Candy!! This is such a funky & fun gift envelope with all of the Painted Industrial going on! OH and love her little 'boobies', too!! How clever are you!! Fabulous again, Candy!! XOXO-Shari T.

    ReplyDelete
  40. How cute your girl is on this piece! I love her skirt! You have so many details in this....I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Welcome back Candy! what a great trip you went on!! I just love your metal doll - so very clever - love her 'chest' the fishnet stockings and zipper skirt!! your background is wonderful - so very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  42. She is indeed fabulous just the way she is, Candy! I love this piece - so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anyone would be so thrilled with this envelope that they might neglect to look inside for the card or gift! Inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  44. gorgeous background and a beautiful zipper skirt, very creative!! Many thanks!! Hugs, Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your gift envelope will make a wonderful keepsake. Love the attitude, the zipper skirt with the ball chain & gear belt. I love using Tim's filmstrip but haven't thought to stamp letters on it. Love it! Wonderful inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love the attitude of your heroine, she will take no...... The colour is my favourite too. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I have some of that same zipper material and used in once or twice, but never as a swirly skirt, love it! Anita and you with the bobbins reminds me of my old sewing days! Love how you outlined "attitude" and this gal along with your painted industrial background! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love how you used the contrasting styles and added that wild zipped dress and fish nets!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Candy-this is a great dolly tag. Great use of this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  50. A terrific make Candy :-) wonderful details and I love that skirt. TFS and best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love this gal you've created and the words in metal are just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Amazing .. I love what you did with the skirt, now I know what to do with all my zipper trim :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. This tag is spectacular! That is the perfect texture fade for this very much attitude! And I love the bobbins...hmm; where are my mothers old sewing supplies???

    ReplyDelete
  54. This is so gorgeous! I love that skirt, Candy!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  55. Gee that little skirt is amazing, how clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I love your sassy tag! It's so adorable and industrial at the same time. Just like us sassy gals! Love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Her skirt is a spot of genius! I just love her steampunk look.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Wonderful tag Candy, so much detail to gaze at, I am particularly fond of that embossing folder too :)

    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  59. Adorable attitude tag!! great colors!! The way you used the zipper ribbon for the skirt is so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  60. This cute, so many layers of special stuff happening. I especially like the word background in painted industrial, it works great.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Candy an unexpected tag ! You are absolutely eclectic! You have so fabulous ability to interpret every possible style and a tremendous ability to mix different items! As always in awe! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  62. Oh yes, you've done it again Candy. What an awesome background and how clever to give your paper doll a zipper skirt. I love this to bits. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  63. What an amazing tag! The imagination you have ... you are one talented gal. I love what you did with the skirt!

    Gaby xox

    ReplyDelete
  64. Well, you've got a pretty confident girl there. I think is the is the first CC3C rated PG-13. ha!! Love your tag, as always, brilliant girl!

    ReplyDelete
  65. this is just amazing and so much detail too. I love her zipper skirt what a clever idea

    ReplyDelete
  66. Wow, Candy! This is absolutely stunning! Love the grungy chick and how you've dressed her! The background is also really amazing! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  67. This is gorgeous Candy!! Such a wonderful mix of items. Love that super clever skirt and the background and sentiments are perfect. I hope you are enjoying summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Love how you transformed cute and frilly to edgy diva

    ReplyDelete
  69. Wow Candy! What a work of art! I LOVE your industrial girl! The background looks spectacular and you have such an eye for detail! Thanks for visiting and thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  70. Dear wish fairy - my wish today is could I get into Candy's head for a little while to see how she comes up with such incredible ideas?. Hugs to you Candy. Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  71. Candy, your tag is AWESOME! I can't get over how amazingly cool the word looks with the ball chain around the bobbins as a frame... then I read that the chain can be moved - amazing!! Your gal is fabulous too with her nifty belt with mini gear adornments and those stylish and sassy legs. Not to mention the whole background of painted industrial... what a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  72. The entire project is amazing, but the dress is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  73. this is so cool!!!! I love the zipper skirt on the doll.

    ReplyDelete
  74. I love what you did here especially the use of the zipper!

    ReplyDelete
  75. Fantastic way to dress up an envelope! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  76. I love the very different interpretations of these challenges. Your project is so very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  77. Love the detail with the bobbin and filmstrip word, looks just like filmstrip on a movie reel

    ReplyDelete
  78. never seen the doll stamp used like tis before, how brilliant I especially love the ATTITUDE wording down the side, looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  79. Fantastic ! love the way you have grunged up the Julie Nutting stamp and made her into such a pretty rock chick Love the outfit you have created with the zipper dress. Your Painted Industrial background is fab too ! I see you've used bobbins. I think you and Anita are starting a trend ! x

    ReplyDelete
  80. This is fabulous! Love the mix of industrial and flirty! Sounds like a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  81. this is awesome Candy - that skirt really looks brilliant! Just back from Germany myself - brilliant! Glad you had a good time too! Hugs Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  82. this is absolutely brilliant Candy - I love the background and the skirt is just awesome - love it!! Just back from Germany myself - brilliant time - glad you had a good time too xx

    ReplyDelete
  83. Oh this is fabulous!! Love the dress and your cool background...:) ..Super details...You've rocked the painted industrial technique Candy!! x

    ReplyDelete
  84. Ha! I love the lift. That cracked me up. The skirt is awesome. I also love the colors you chose for this project.
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  85. this is so cool!!! LOVE IT!!!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  86. You totally blew my mind with that amazing zipper dress! The painted industrial background is awesome, but that tutu stole the show for me. Glad you had a nice trip!

    ReplyDelete
  87. Another amazing project Candy! I love the girls dress and the industrial bg is fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  88. So so fabulous!!! Love her skirt and everything about her!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  89. Welcome Back Candy! I am glad you had an EPIC trip! Your girl here is epically amazing too. I reallly love the skirt, she looks like she is dancing! Great technique and as always, thanks for sharing!~kim

    ReplyDelete
  90. This is really special Candy! Love your idea of making a gift envelope. This girl definitely has attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  91. This is so so SO crazy cool and hands down my favorite of all the DT makes this challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  92. Fabulous doll with attitude on your fabulous background

    ReplyDelete
  93. Love her! & great use of the zips for her swirly skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  94. Wow, love your altered envelope. The Prima Doll works wonderfully against the background, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  95. This is precious! I love the subway and riveted background. Such an amazing foil for this sassy young lady. Talk about ATTITUDE!! Love how you highlighted this word with the filmstrip. As usual, this is Awesome!! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  96. What a great example of the different ways to utilize the industrial technique. I love the look of juniper and black on the envelope and will remember to use this in the future. I also loved how you gave your doll some edge.

    ReplyDelete
  97. Where do you get your ideas from Candy!? I love your tag, it's so fun and sassy with a lovely 40's twist. Love it. Thanks for sharing. So pleased to be back to play. :)

    ReplyDelete
  98. This us fab, I love how you have incorporated the doll into a grungy background, it is genius xx

    ReplyDelete
  99. Oh I LOVE her - she is rockin'!!! Welcome back Candy - delighted your trip was fab. I can see French inspiration here - her 'bodice embellies' remind me of Madonna's 'cones' as designed by Jean Paul Gaultier! The fishnets are fabulously follies too! Her skirt is very clever and the little sneakie peek is so va va voom. Gorgeous Holtzian background. Your idea with the bobbins and chain is brilliant and they work too! I have some of that chain - must put it to use. Thank-you for creating this treat. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  100. Superb job! You are so creative. I love this project and will try it out right away. I have bought some new doll stencils. They are amazing and will help me in this project. Check them out!
    http://www.amazon.com/Mixed-Media-Collage-Doll-Stencils/dp/B00IQRT4N8/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1407748209&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Mixed+Media+Doll+Stencils

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!