Saturday, May 23, 2015

ERODED METALLIC VINTAGE MINI CLIPBOARD


Hello and welcome to challenge number 29 in the Compendium of Curiosities III Challenges!  We are clipping them off, aren't we?  Only FIVE left after this challenge.  Hopefully you've been learning some new techniques and ways to use the fabulous products of Tim Holtz

The Curiosity Crew has been busy creating projects for our newest challenge technique:  Eroded Metallic.  Every project is so unique!  Isn't is amazing how everyone's "takes" on the technique are as unique as each member of the crew?  That is what we, The Curiosity Crew, LOVE about seeing all of our entries each challenge.  Be sure to visit the Linda Ledbetter's Compendium of Curiosities III Challenge site to check out all of the projects and the rules for entering the challenge.

Okay ... turn to page 44 in your Compendium of Curiosities III books and check out Tim's Eroded Metallic technique. This is a FUN one!  It's so easy and you get GREAT textural results!


I created this very textural little mini clipboard from the multi-talented Wendy Vecchi's Art Parts collection using Tim's Eroded Metallic technique. I truly LOVE the way it turned out and I am sure that I will use this little gem.  These would make really cool little gifts and they are easy to make. 

While I can't divulge the actual Eroded Metallic technique, I can tell you all of my other steps in creating this piece.  And the best part ... from start to finish, I did it in less than 3 hours!  And I didn't have a clue what I was going to make when I entered my craft room!

Here are all of the items you will need to create this project:
  • Matte Medium
  • White Gesso
  • Distress Paint - I used Cracked Pistachio, Abandoned Coral and Tarnished Brass
  • Adirondak Paint - Espresso (or any dark brown acrylic paint), Pitch Black
  • Heavyweight Cardstock
  • Tim Holtz' Playing Games Texture Trades (embossing folders)
  • Tim Holtz Remnant Rubs - Numbers
  • Tim Holtz Remnant Rub Tool
  • Tim Holtz Clipboard Clip
  • Wendy Vecchi Art Parts Clipboard
  • Tim Holtz Ideaology Ball Chain
  • Tim Holtz Ideaology Philosophy Tag
  • Glossy Accents
  • Two Large Brads
  • Paint Brush to apply Matte Medium and Gesso
  • Vagabond or Sizzix Big Shot for embossing heavyweight cardstock


Begin by embossing the rays and "admit one" ticket from the Playing Games Texture Trades onto heavyweight cardstock.  Give a light coat of gesso over the entire surface of Wendy Vecchi's Art Parts Clipboard.  (This clipboad measures 3 1/2" x 6"). Heat set to dry.





Apply Matte Medium to the top of the clipboard.  Apply Matte Medium to the underside of the heavyweight cardstock embossed with the rays image. (If you apply Matte Medium to both surfaces, you will get a more secure bond). Lay the embossed rays piece in place. Now repeat this step for the bottom of the clipboard and the admit one ticket image.  Put in place and heat set. Cut off the excess cardstock around the edges of the Clipboard and sand the edges to mesh them better with the surface of the Clipboard.

Paint over the surface of the embossed Clipboard with a light coat of White Gesso. Heat set.

Now to begin the Eroded Metallic Technique ...  

Before I tried it on the embossed clipboard, I wanted to be sure I totally understood the technique so I practiced it on a #8 manila tag first. I used Abandoned Coral, Cracked Pistachio and Tarnished Brass as my Distress Paint Colors to experiment with.

I will say this about the technique, as I was experimenting, I found that only drying the metallic paint a tiny bit and then pulling it up worked much better than drying for any real length of time.  And THAT is all I am saying about the technique.  Anymore than that and I think I would be saying TOO MUCH!  But, I think this tip will be helpful to you. 


Here are two tags in the above photo. The bottom tag (with the paint bottles sitting on it) is the a tag before the Eroded Metallic technique is tried. The tag standing on it's side behind the Distress Paint bottles is the after effect.


And here are my two tags after the Eroded Metallic technique has been done.  Isn't the color and the texture amazing?  So simple to do and so fast!  Now that I was happy with my results, I went back to my project ...

I want to share with you how the Clipboard looked after each color that I added.  
Tim's Distress Paints are perfect for this technique because of their matte finish when they are dry.  You can manipulate the paint and make it run as it is drying simply by spraying the paint with water and moving the Clipboard around.  But you don't have to spritz the paint with water.  (That was just my personal preference on how I wanted the paint to look.) 


Here is my Clipboard base after applying the Abandoned Coral layer. I swished some onto the tag, spritzed the tag with water and moved the clipboard all around to let the paint move and run as it was drying.  Finally, I heat set the remaining paint as it was naturally drying to speed up the process. 


Next I added Cracked Pistachio in the same manner that I had done on the Abandoned Coral layer.  Don't you LOVE the randomness of the color here? Again, I heated up the natural drying process by heat setting the paint after it had had a chance to run.


Finally, here is my Tarnished Brass layer AFTER I completed the Eroded Metallic technique.  I totally LOVE the randomness of the metallic paint.  It definitely looks eroded and chipped. With the shine and the texture of the metallic layer, this Clipboard really looks awesome in person.  And I'm not finished with the background quite yet.  But first, I wanted to alter Tim's Clipboard Clip so that it would better blend with my grungy embossed Clipboard.


Using a small paint brush, I applied some Cracked Pistachio Distress Paint to the surface of the entire Clipboard Clip. When you first apply the paint, it has a tendency to want to bubble up as shown in the picture. No worries, just keep working with the paint with a brush or your finger.  As it starts to dry, it magically blends into the metal and gives you that wonderful shabby, chalky finish. I covered the Clipboard Clip with the Cracked Pistachio paint so that no silver metal was showing.


To better define my edges and give more depth to the clipboard, I added some Espresso Adirondak paint to the clipboard and the "admit one" letters. Any dark brown paint would work. I also added some dark brown paint to the Clipboard Clip to age it. 

I drilled two holes into the Clipboard so that I could secure the Clip in place with glue and two large brads. I used Glossy Accents on the backside of the Clipboard Clip, pressed it in place and held it for a minute or two.  It was still not completely sealed in place so I added my two large brads and that seemed to hold the Clip in place to finish adhering to the Clipboard.


I decided to add some Remnant Rub images from Tim's Numbers set.  So easy to apply.  I just used my Tim Holtz Remnant Rub Tool and the images easily transferred to the metal surface.


Here is the Clipboard Clip in place with the Remnant Rubs attached.  They give the piece even more of a grungy personality.


Here is a closeup of the lower portion of the grungy Clipboard.  See the pitted metal look that the eroded metallic technique gives?  I added a bit of Pitch Black paint around the edge of the Clipboard to define the edges and to pull the black from the Remnant Rub images.


Finally I added a small piece of Ball Chain and a Philosophy Tag.  I added Cracked Pistachio Paint over the entire surface of the tag and then wiped away the paint from the flat surface area of the tag, leaving the paint in the grooves of the letters and numbers. It's a very effective way of adding a bit of color to a Philosophy Tag and pulling color from the Clipboard.

Now it's your turn to create something grungy and fun using Tim's Eroded Metallic technique.  Then join us at The Compendium of Curiosities III Challenge. Link up to our site and you could possibly be one of two lucky winners!



Our sponsor for this challenge are the wonderful people at Inspiration Emporium! They are generously donating a $50.00 gift certificate to our lucky randomly drawn winner! Thank you Inspiration Emporium for your generous support!

And our other winner, chosen by the Curiosity Crew for the most impressive project using the technique will be awarded with a huge prize package from none other than Tim Holtz and Mario!  These guys have provided us with a plethora of amazing Tim Holtz products. We can't ever thank them enough for all they have done for us!

So, what are you waiting for???  Have fun with this technique! It's amazing!

Good luck!















48 comments:

  1. This is fabby, Candy! I remember doing this technique in Creative Chemistry class, and it really is amazing! Your color choices are perfect for creating that aged patina that we all love so much. The clip is fabulous! I love the way you aged it and then added the rub ons! It just looks so cool! I absolutely love reading your step outs....I learn something new every single time. Have a great Memorial Day weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Candy!!
    The colors you used on the tag part are just perfect together! Love that combo!!
    The whole piece melds beautifully; the palette, the distressed look, and the eroded metal technique! Bravo!
    Happy Memorial weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Eroded Metaillic turned out wonderful. Love all the texture. Great tutorial and thanks for the tip. I agree that these would make some fun gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely WONDERFUL Candy! LOVE how you've added that darker shading to the eroded surface to make it pop even more and the metal clip works perfectly with it. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! Reading the step by step from the gesso stage to the finish it's unbelievable that the white card looks just like rusted metal. I am definitely inspired to have a go. Thanks for sharing, Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT altered piece, Candy! I love that you embossed your surfaces before the tech, it added so much dimension! Also love your color choices, especially Abandoned Coral. It worked really well here. When I saw this, I thought the same thing I always do once I've seen your challenge piece: ugh!! wish I'd done that!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely little clip board Candy! love this metalic look and the great embossing! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. THUMP...I just full of my chair! OH wow...Candy I LOVE LOVE LOVE this...Can we make these you know when, hehehe....OH OH...I think I have to go play right now. WOW...speechless. which is hard to achieve in my case, wink. love ya girly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous Candy! LOVE that you used the Art Part to make a clipboard...I'm so going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty!!. love how this project turned out so much I'm going to have to try one myself!! Your use of the technique is beautiful the tags were so pretty. I would have never thought to us abondon coral, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember struggling slightly with this technique on Tim's CC class so I am looking forward to having another go! Your clipboard is stunning, you have used the technique brilliantly, your embossing really does look like real rusty metal! That was a great tip too, thank you! I love how you finished off the metal clip too. Amazing! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful clipboard and your details/colours are so intense......I love it.
    The finished piece is just fabulous.....must give this technique another try

    Tfs and best wishes to you and yours

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tutorial with so many pictures was wonderful Candy and helped encourage me too! This technique is totally wonderful looking but a bit scary trying for the first time!!! Your clipboard is SPECTACULARLY ADORABLE. All the little intricate details made for a FABULOUS creative piece. j.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is an amazing piece Candy! Every time I look at it I want to make one. Beautifully eroded. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous piece Candy, the colours are particularly striking and I adore how,you used the technique . The clip looks so authentic and I love the texture from the embossing too. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely amazing creation with eroded metallic technique at it's best! Bravo!
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the colors of this! Great technique!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy Moly, Candy! This is AWESOME! Just like-WOW! :) :) This clipboard is soooo cool on its own! I would have a hard time using this as anything other than a piece of art to be admired :) Well, I'd have to hold it and feel it every so often, too :) An amazing use of the Eroded Metal technique! There are so many patinas to this, so many layers--it's just Beautiful!! Thank you for sharing-what you could :) - of how you put this all together! You've got the wheels turning for sure!! Happy Weekend!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great colors, but then I WOULD say that as they were the colors I p,ayed with. However, your is head-and-shoulders better than mine! Love how it works with an embossed surface, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW !!! So amazing ... you ROCKED the eroded technique and the art parts... love the embossing too and the added details with remnant rubs just awesome !!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good golly this is gorgeous grunge!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Drop dead gorgeous eroded metallics, Candy - this is a jaw-dropper! Great step out photos too - brilliant, inspiring work as always. Sorry not to have commented for so long - but I always have a wonderful time when I drop in!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just amazing! So much texture on your mini clipboard . Your colors are perfection. Thanks for the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning work the amazing texture you have created

    ReplyDelete
  25. this look amazing candy - so vintage and the technique has been worked brilliantly by you! Enjoy that wonderful cruise I have seen your name linked to - looks like a dream to me! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love it, it's a real piece of metal eroded, it seems an ancient piece emerged from the sea floor. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Candy, you are something else! I love this little clipboard and that you used texture fades with this technique. So clever and such fantastic results. Smart of you to practice and perfect the technique first. Great tip. and I adore the chalky painted clip with the rub-ons. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Boy, Candy, you knocked it out of the park with this piece! Love your color choice - abandoned coral and cracked pistachio for the base. That color combo is perfect over that fabulous embossed background! Your tutorial was awesome too! Great information!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Candy I love this piece! As always you are a genius! Fantastic tutorial, thanks for sharing! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! another touchdown for Candy! Your pieces are always so inspiring to me!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Candy, this is killer! It's hard to believe it's paper... it looks authentically rusty and grungy. I love it! Just pinned to multiple boards (yes I do have an altered clipboards 'board' thank you very much). Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazing, love this wonderful eroded effect, the paper looks how metallic, fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I also love Wendy Vecchi's products. Your clipboard is awesome and the added rubs were a perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a fabulous clip board, love how the technique turned out. Really like the cracked pistachio on the clipboard clip. The new distress colours are really lush!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is adorable, and I love your color choices. It did take some experimenting before I figured out the "not too much drying" thing - wish I'd read your blog first! I never would have thought of a clipboard; this turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Golly, what incredible techniques. This is brilliant Candy, stunning transformation! Thanks for sharing the how-to. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Holy Cow, Candy! I love you eroded metal clipboard! the colors are just perfect to look like aged patina, and your metal clip is aged perfectly as well! Just a wonderful artful piece, and a fabulous tutorial. I appreciate your sharing your lovely work with us, as well as things that you have learned. This is truly one of my go-to places for inspiration and education! LOVE this! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love all the colors you got on the clipboard! Looks fantastic. Great tip on the drying...really makes a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Such an awesome tag/clipboard!! Wow! Love all the embossing, colors, eroded metal...

    ReplyDelete
  40. Candy, I am sorry for being so late to the party, but have had major Internet issues and at times none! Love your altered clipboard using the Eroded Metallics technique! It so looks like metal and the the clip is brilliant! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a beautiful great creation! Love the colours you used, thank you for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Candy, you are so talented! Your clipboard is ingenious. I love how all the elements...the remnant rubs, philosophy, and clip all work so well together. The eroded metal effect looks authentic. Thanks for the drying tip and as always for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wowzers! This is absolutely fantabulous! So glad that you shared the steps and your practice tags. The eroded metallic technique worked amazingly well with the coral and pistachio! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  44. Brilliant application of the technique Candy - using the embossed surface really highlights the metallic effect. Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  45. Ohhhh, U got me, sweetheart....right where ya want me; wanting to DO THIS!!! Candy, this is one of THE coolest things yet!! And you hadda go & use those new Distress colors that I've been wanting now- LOVE that new Abandoned Coral!!!! I can think of a million uses for those clips onto a board now, thanks to your project, hon. U just keep right on GOing!!!! LOVE U, Gurl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. this is fabulous Candy. I love the paint colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is amazing!! Thank you for the helpful tutorial and the tips!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!