Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A WONDEROUS EXPERIENCE

I just got back from probably the closest thing to an "out of body "experience I could ever imagine! I spent the weekend at Absolutely Everything in Topsfield, Massachusetts, taking all four classes that Tim Holtz offered. They should not be called "classes". They should be called "events". For anyone who has never experienced a Tim Holtz class, you are really missing something! He truly is a creative genius when it comes to not only creating these wonderful classes but also in developing so many wonderful products that work so perfectly together.
Tim's team of Mario and Michelle did so much of the preparation for these classes and let me tell you, there was A LOT of preparation. Kate, a dear person and the owner of Absolutely Everything, acquired help not only from her wonderful staff but also from other store owners across the nation who jumped right in to help her. The classes were nothing short of AMAZING! The projects we made were incredible. I learned so much about the mechanics of product and technique. But, Tim made it so much fun! It was more like playing than it was a learning experience...although it was BOTH!
This was my first time to meet Tim in person. I have to say, he did not disappoint! There is just an aura about him. He is one of the most genuine people I have ever met. A perfect example of this is when he was autographing something for me, he smiled and said something to the effect, "You know, I will never understand why people want me to do this! Why would anyone want me to sign something for them?" I found him to be very witty and charming.  He was fully engaged with his students throughout the entire class.  His instruction and presentation was just perfection! I am so happy that I had this opportunity. It is another dream come true for me!
This is a picture of Tim and I the first morning of classes.
He is holding a spool doll that I made especially for him.

An Experience I Will NEVER Forget! 

TAKE TIME TO CREATE AND PLAY!!!  IT'S SOUL FOOD!!! 

10 comments:

  1. Wow, what amazing projects, I LOVE them all (some of the Halloween kinda creeps me out lol). I can't wait to see each of your projects in person.

    And the photo, you couldn't have brought home a better souvenir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lolo! They were so much fun to do! The Configurations boxes are a total blast! Check out the size of the compartments in the boxes you bought and then keep your eyes peeled when you're at flea markets, etc. for little things you can use in those compartments. They are so much fun to create! I am coming to the crop on Saturday and I'll bring all the stuff I made! And yes...the pictures I have with Tim ARE the best things I could have brought home! I am going to make something with them for my studio...haven't figured out what yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW FABULOUS is that spool doll!! I'm sure he was THRILLED! GREAT work with all your projects! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the nice post! That little doll was so much fun to make and Tim really did like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not able to go on the cruise thi year, but I went on the one last year to the Mexican Riviera. I know EXACTLY what you mean by EVENTS versus CLASSES!

    I get to see tim and company in a couple of weeks *smiles* He will be at the RSC in Carson, CA . . . yippeee!

    Love all of your projects you've shown here!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherry...I am so jealous! I would love to go to another Tim class. Will you be making the same things we made? If so, you will LOVE them! Although, he DID say that our class was the last time he is teaching the Ultimate Alterations class...the grunge book. Thank you for the compliments on my projects! I LOVE making art! :) I wish I was going with you to Carson!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So it was YOU that made the case with the Tim doll! I saw it on Mario's twitter photos and wondered who'd made that: Very inventive and funny too!
    Love all the projects. Glad to have discovered your blog.
    Karen (ATT)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen! Yep...it was me. :) I had such a fun time making that spool doll for Tim. He really liked it. Isn't Mario a sweetheart? I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Tim, Mario and Michelle last weekend at Absolutely Everything. They are all FIRST CLASS people. Thanks for checking out my blog! I hope you'll keep coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your work... Do you live in MO or MA? Some day I plan to make the trip to Absolutely Everything, which is about 2.5 hrs from me..someday!! Thanks for sharing your talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much! I live in MO. You really do need to plan a trip to Absolutely Everything. It is very appropriately named! I LOVE that store and the people who work there. The owner, Kate is a fabulous person and very very knowledgeable. It is truly worth the trip! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I appreciate that so much!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!