Sunday, December 23, 2012

CHRISTMAS WISHES ... AN OPEN BOOK


MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!  
 It's that magical time of year when Santa makes his whirlwind tour, leaving presents and spreading joy to all who believe.  My Christmas wish for you is one of JOY ... simply the joy of the season; the memories of Christmases past, the blessings of Christmas present and the hope of Christmases future.  

This week at Simon Says Stamp and Show, it's all about "wishes".  Since it's Christmas Eve, I wanted to share another vintage Christmas home decor piece!  This is my vintage style altered book to reflect Christmases past
and wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

I originally saw this altered book idea on my Design Teammate, Suzz' blog.  I think her work is fabulous.  I particularly loved her altered book and wanted to give it a try.


Here is my completed book I have titled "Christmas Wishes".  

It began with a trip to the Dollar Store where I found what I considered the perfect size hardback book for my project; Janet Evanovich's "To The Nines".  
(Sorry Janet....but it was onlyl $1!)

Next I took the book with my on my recent trip to Southern California ... not to read on the plane but to fold the pages in a pattern.  Actually, it didn't take all that long to fold them.  I began in the center of the book and made my first "peak"; folding two pages in triangles and the folded edges facing in towards each other.  I used 1/4" Scor Tape to tape the peaks together.  From there, I folded the next two sheets of paper (on one side of the peak) in half.  Then I taped them together by placing a piece of 1/4" Scor Tape between the pages, on the outside edge of the page, to form a pocket.  On the next page, I only folded down about 1" of the top of the page and ran a piece of 1/8" tape along the inside bottom edge.  I would later edge punch these pages.  I repeated this pattern on both sided of the book until all the pages were folded.  If the pattern doesn't come out exactly the same on both sides, it's not a big deal.  Mine just happened to work out though.


Next, I edge punched the tops of the pages that I had left sticking out the farthest.  I used a combination of Martha Stewart's Arch Lattice and Snow Flurry edge punches.  They created light and airy edges for my vintage book. 


My next step was to spray the pages with a beautiful vintage-ish Christmas color from Tattered Angels ... Candy Apple Glimmer Mist.  I sprayed all of the pages in sections and let each section dry before spraying more.  I also used latex gloves when doing this, so I could move the pages around and spray down into the crevasses I'd created with the folded paper.


After the pages were dry, I added some highlights of vintage-ness by adding swipes from a Gold Paint Dabber along all of the folded edges.  It added quite a bit of depth and shimmer to my book.


Before I got more carried away with finishing the interior of my book, I felt like I needed to do something with the exterior cover of the book.  It was all black with the book's title going up the center of the spine.  Had it just been all black, I probably would have just left the book cover alone.  But, "To the Nines" running up the spine sort of broke the Christmas spirit ... so I covered the outside of the book with Golden Molding Paste and let it dry.  Once dry, I painted it with Claudine Hellmuth's Dash of Red Studio Paint.  After that dried, washed the book with a mixture of water and Burnt Umber Acrylic Paint.  Then I added highlights on the raised areas left by the Molding Paste by swiping over them with some Gold Paint Dabber that I had wiped onto my finger.  When that was dry, I could continue embellishing my altered interior of my book.

I chose a piece of older Christmas paper that I had from Basic Grey called "Wassil".  It is a predominantly green background with holly leaves and small red berries on it.  I thought it was a perfect contrast for my red pages.  I also added some ornate metallic gold Dresden trim to either side of the paper that I had cut into a 5 1/4" x 8 1/4" rectangle for the interior covers.  I edged the pages with a Gold Paint Dabber, wrapped the Dresden trim over the edges and glued the paper into place.  Then I dabbed the Gold Paint Dabber all around the interior edges of the book to hide any exposed black from the original cover.  


The Tim Holtz Tick Tock clocks on either side of the book are cut from chipboard that was covered in the Wassil paper.  I cut four clocks (front and back for each side of the book).  I edged them with a Gold Paint Dabber and also randomly swiped the paint dabber over the paper.  The Santa in the center is one of my favorite Tim Holtz vintage Santa stamps ... Storytime Santa.  


I inked the stamp using Fired Brick Distress Ink on Santa's hat and coat and Black Soot Distress Ink for all of the other details.  Then I stamped it onto manila cardstock.  Finally, colorized his face, hands and beard and the background with colored pencils.  I cut out a piece of plastic from the packaging (which I save!!) from some of Tim's products and made a "watch crystal" to cover Santa.  Then I cut Santa out.  I first glued on the clear packaging followed by Santa (using Glossy Accents just around the perimeter of the circle).  Then I glued the back side of the clock in place.  I repeated this for the clock that is located on the other side of the book.


I added some Tim Holtz' holly cut out of plain Grungeboard and inked with Evergreen Bough Distress Ink.  Then I smeared Patina Stickles all over the holly leaves to give them that festive shimmer and set them aside to dry.  When dry, I hot glued them onto the clocks, added some red organza ribbon, a few red jingle bells" and a couple of little gold bells.  Finally, I added a little glittery gold snowflake to each clock and they were finished!

Now for all of the goodies that would be adorn the interior pages and pockets of my book ...


I recently purchased a couple of packages of wonderful vintage Christmas ephemera from Fancy Pants' Saint Nick and Kaiser Turtle Dove collections.  Some I added to the book using Tim Holtz' Mini Paperclips and others I either just stuck into the pockets or hot glued them onto little sticks and stuck them out of pockets.  


I also added a couple of older Sizzix die cuts that I love ... a large round ornament that I cut out of plain Grunbeboard, inked with Fired Brick and embossed with Tim Holtz' new Holly Branch Texture Fade.  Then I heat embossed the holly and randomly around the edges of the ornament with Gold Embossing Powder.  I love the vintage looking result!  The top of the ornament was cut twice (front and back).  I covered some Grungeboard with some Metal Foil Tape Sheets and ran them through my Vagabond.  Then I colored the shiny silver metal with my Gold Paint Dabber and glued the tops together (with the ornament sandwiched in between) with Glossy Accents.  I added a little gold wire "ornament hanger". 


I also love my old Sizzix #2 Snowflake die cut.  I cut two big snowflakes out of Grungeboard, painted them white with a Snowcap Paint Dabber.  When dry, I sprayed them lightly with some honey stain spray and then covered them with Icicles Stickles for that old vintage look.  Then I just slid them in place inside of pockets.  The little snowman is from Artistic Outposts' Frosty and Friends stamp set ... very retro and very cute stamps!  I stamped him on to manila cardstock using Jet Black Archival ink and then colored him with colored pencils.  


Here are the snowflake rosettes in various stages of completion.

And finally...what probably "makes" the entire book ... Tim Holtz' Mini Snowflake Rosettes.  I used the four larger ones to spell out "WISH" and added two smaller ones with a little blingy rhinestone in the center on either end.  


The snowflakes began on white cardstock.  I then lightly sprayed them with a honey spray to instantly age them.  Then I made the rosettes and glued them together using Glossy Accents.  Once dry, I added a bit of Chestnut Roan ink to the edges and then I added Icicles Stickles for that very vintage sparkle.  I also added some Platinum Stickles around the edges of the snowflakes for more definition.  


"WISH" is inked with Fired Brick and topped with Fruit Punch Stickles.  They are mounted on small sticks that are stuck inside pockets of the book.  I added a few more little golden glittery snowflakes on the edges of some of the peaks and my little vintage Christmas book is complete!

This is not a challenge week.  It is simply a time for all of us to share with our family and friends.  So, I hope that you have a blessed holiday week.  
Make some wonderful memories.

But...Simon Says Stamp and Show is offering a very nice discount on many of their items!  Be sure to check THAT out!


Click HERE to be taken to a very special section where you can take advantage of their end of the year sale and save 40% off of many many items!

From my home to yours...
 A Very Merry And Blessed Christmas!!!

Here are the products available at Simon Says Stamp that I used in this vintage book:


 
  

19 comments:

  1. Candy, this is seriously gorgeous! What a fabulous creation. I love all the details. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy, this is such a fabulous Christmas project! I wish I could see it in real life. Love how you folded and punched the edges and all the details are wonderful. I hope you will have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God! This is stunning.
    I am always impressed by your work but this one I really really love. The way you folded, punched and coloured the pages of the book and how you arranged all the beautiful details.I can't get my eyes off.
    I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a happy new year 2013.

    Anke x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a magnificent creation Candy! It is such a joy to look at, but I want to touch it too! The Candy Apple Glimmer Mist is a stunning colour and the book almost glows with it. The tick tocks and the snowflakes are the perfect finishing touches. I bet this will be much admired by all who visit your home this Christmas. I have so enjoyed following your blog this year, you are a truly inspirational lady. Wishing you and yours the most wonderful Christmas and New Year. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful book and what a terrific post!
    I'm sure it took a long time to describe each picture the way you did. It reminds me of the care you took in writing our class projects.
    I miss you and think of you often.
    Grandchildren growing, I'm sure.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just fantabulous! Love your Christmas book there is so many wonderful details. This is a gorgeous decoration for the holidays! Love the pinwheel effect with the word Wish! Stunning! Beautiful post! A very Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Candy, this is one stunning Christmas book! You're one talented lady. You make the prettiest things and this is one of them!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours too!
    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liebe Candy, das ist ein traumhaft schönes Wunsch-Buch und wer dieses tolle Geschenk bekommt, kann sich sehr glücklich schätzen. Ich liebe die Farben Rot und Gold und die schönen Bordüren und verwendeten Stempel.

    Ein wundervolles Weihnachtsfest für Sie und Ihre Familie.
    Alles Liebe, Bärbel

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my, I love this book. I can't even pick a favorite part, I love them all. This is truly amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful project Candy, so festive and Christmassy! Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another show stopper!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a show off ...I mean show stopper...lol! Holy Christmas Cow!!! AMAZING!!! I will pin when I have my computer! This is the most amazing piece!!! WOW CANDY WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, this so rich and precious, Candy. And I always learn something new when I pop here!

    I wish you a very joyful festive season!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to agree with Anita, lol! I know there is always something amazing to see here. I just had to drop in before the year ends and wish you a Happy New Year and tell you what an inspiration you are to me. Can't wait to see your 2013 ideas.
    Tons of Hugs, Dangina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now THIS is a pop up book, Candy! I love all the pretty embellishments you added and the touches of sparkle are perfect!


    Happy Holidays!
    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another Jaw Dropping creation Candy.
    WOW... Your amazing!!!
    Wishing you a Joyous New Year!
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey there sweetness....the warmest wishes from me to you and your family for the NEW YEAR, I hope we will be friends forever and might I add that your PIECE OF ART with lots of wishes in them is absolutely AMAZING as allways, I love you my dear friend and I wish you and your family nothing BUT THE BEST Lots of Love Terry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love this book, it's amazing!! I have to do one of these, thanks for the tutorial too. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!