Sunday, December 9, 2012

TIM HOLTZ INSPIRED CHRISTMAS TAG

Hello friends!  The holiday clock is ticking ... only 15 days left until Christmas Day!

This week at Simon Says Stamp and Show, we are celebrating TIM HOLTZ and the wonderful inspiration he gave all of us with his annual 12 Tags of Christmas!  Here are handy links to all of his tags over the years:


2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011

Our theme for this week's challenge is find some inspiration from Tim's 12 Tags of Christmas and create your own Tim style piece ... a tag, an ATC card, scrapbook page ... whatever inspires YOU!


 I created this #10 size manila tag and combined several Tim Holtz products and "Tim techniques" from his Christmas Tags.

 
I recently purchased Tim's new Stocking Stuffer die cut and wanted to use it for this challenge.  So, using my trusty Vagabond (LOVE IT!), I cut the stocking out of plain Grungeboard and inked it with Evergreen Bough and Festive Berries Distress Ink.

Then I recalled a couple of techniques Tim used in 2010 that I wanted to try again.  First, Tim took a die cut reindeer and embossed it (Tim's Tag from Day 6, 2010). But then, on the next day (Day 7, 2010), he actually inked the texture fade; thus colorizing and embossing a tag at the same time.  I loved both ideas and decided to incorporate them on my stocking.


So ... I inked the harlequin texture fade with embossing ink and ran it through the vagabond.  (I patted the stocking with an X-static pad first to help resist the embossing powder in places that I didn't want it to cling before I ran the stocking through the Vagabond).  

 
Next, I sprinkled Queen's Gold Embossing Ink over the inked pattern and brushed away any excess powder with a small, dry paint brush.  Then I heat set it with my Heat It Craft Tool.  It worked! I distressed the edges of the stocking and the red portions with a Gold Paint Dabber and glued the top, toe and heel in place with Glossy Accents.  


I decided to create a tag that would have the stocking "hanging by the chimney with care".  What better way to create a brick chimney background than to use Tim's Bricked Texture Fade?  Then I inked over it first with Festive Berries followed by Fired Brick Distress Inks.  I added a touch of Gathered Twigs Distress Ink for darker distressed areas.  Then I smeared Rock Candy Distress Stickles over all of the bricks to give them a bit of a gloss and also "grit".  After I added my masked Santa on the top portion of the tag, I lightly embossed some Gold Embossing Powder around all of the edges of the tag.



The masked Santa image, from Tim's Just Believe stamp set, was sort of born out of Tim's Tag from Day 8, 2010.  When I stamped the Santa onto the top of the tag, I inked up the stamp with Fired Brick on Santa's hat and coat and then Black Soot Distress Ink on all of the details of Santa's face and hair.  I also inked the Night Before Christmas text with Black Soot.  Then I created a mask for Santa and laid it over the stamped image.  After that, I was able to ink the background of the top of the tag with Evergreen Bough followed with a little Gathered Twig and Black Soot at the edges.

   
While the mask was still in place, I decided to add some of Tim's Fabulous Flourishes by painting the stamp with a Gold Paint Dabber and then randomly applying it to the tag.  **Wash your stamp off immediately after using paint on it to get it clean!



Then I gold embossed "BELIEVE" from Tim's Mini Holidays stamp set next to Santa's head.

  
So, here is the tag before adding any embellishments.

I added a "mantle" to the chimney by cutting a piece of Grungeboard and using Tim's Scallops On The Edge die cut on one edge.  I then painted the Grungeboard with white Gesso and sprinkled it with Martha Stewart's Crystal Fine Glitter.  When the was dry, I lightly sprayed it with some honey stain spray to "age" the bright white gesso.  Then I added the Santa facet to one of the holes.



When making the Santa facet, I referred to Tim's Tag from Day 4, 2010. On Tim's tag, he alcohol inked the entire facet and then stamped snowflakes with Archival Ink to remove the alcohol ink, leaving the snowflakes.  I did not use a stamped image on my facet; rather a victorian Santa.  But I loved the idea of the facet and alcohol inking all around my image.  So, I alcohol inked the outer edge with Bottle Alcohol Ink followed by dabbing over it with a Gold Paint Dabber.  The I sized a victorian Santa face to fit the facet, glued it in place using Glossy Accents and trimmed off the excess paper.  Finally, I made it a charm by adding a small Bauble and two jump rings and attaching it to the "mantle".

 Mini Poinsettias in various stages of Stickles being added.

Next I created three mini poinsettias from Tim's new Mini Cardinal and Poinsettia Movers and Shapers die cut.  I cut several of them out of sheet music that had been inked with Festive Berries and Evergreen Bough.  I added Platinum Stickles around all of the edges of the leaves, flowers and to the centers of the flowers.


Here is the final placement of the mini poinsettias on the tag.



The stocking dangles freely from the mantle by punching holes through the stocking, the mantle and directly above on the tag.  It is held in place with a piece of Tim's new red Winter Tinsel Twine.  There is also a large Bauble with a chain tassle hanging from a jump ring.  The candy cane (that is part of the stocking die cut) is painted with Claudine Hellmuth's Blank Canvas and Dash of Red Studio Paints.  The green accent stripe is courtesy of a Pine Needles Distress Marker.  I then distressed the edges of the candy cane with Gathered Twigs and Black Soot.  It is glued into place on the backside of the stocking (so that the stocking can move freely) with Glossy Accents.


Finally, the faux porcelain numbers were an amazing technique.  Tim debuted them on his tag from Day 5, 2010.  I used Tim's Mini Numerals and painted them with Blank Canvas.  While they were still wet, I covered them with White UTEE and heat set them.  When they had cooled down (the metal gets VERY HOT), I lightly wiped over them with Gathered Twigs and edged them with Black Soot.


So, this is my Tim Inspired tag...so many techniques and so many elements all coming together to create some nostalgic magic!  I hope this tag inspires you to join our challenge and create your own Tim style piece!  Check out the beautiful ideas my Design Teammates have posted just for you at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

You could be the winner of Simon Says Stamps' 


$50.00 credit voucher!  I bet this close to Christmas ... you could use this gift!  But ... you could also be selected as one of our TOP THREE entries for the week!!!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

Here is a list of the products available at Simon Says Stamp that were used in this tag:









26 comments:

  1. Candy this is everything a festive tim inspired make should be full of wonderful vintageness, oodles of distress and bags of flair and technique...a wonderful make hugs trace x
    love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely STUNNING!!! This is Christmas!!! Every good feeling you have during the holidays is here! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! This is so beautiful!!
    I love the brick chimney background and this wonderful stocking.There are always so many lovely details to find in your creations.Thank you also for your detailed description.It is a bit like looking over your shoulder .
    Great inspiration.
    It is snowing around here at the moment.The dogs love it and they look like huge snowballs when we com back from our walk.
    Have a nice week.

    Anke x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am blown away by this tag! So many wonderful techniques that are perfect. I love the Santa, the chimney, the stocking is fabulous. Just every bit of it is amazing. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candy, this is just so inspiring! I love it and all the details are just wonderful! I was thinking that stocking was way to big for a tag, but I see it is very right for a tag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Candy, lovely traditional feel to your tag, so festive. I love love your mantelpiece to hang the stocking (I need the stocking now lol). Love how you have added embossing to the stocking it looks fantastic, such a dramatic difference from the plain stocking especially when the gold embossing is added . Love how you added Danta to the top of the tag and the dimensional fragment is gorgeous. So much detail in a small space, I love it. This looks so tactile, one to treasure. Enjoy your week my friend. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is like having all our Christmases rolled into one! Your tag is beautiful, vintage and warm looking. Love how you brought all the elements of Tim's tags together into one place. The chimney is inspired, the stocking looks amazing on it and just adore that lovely Santa. A gorgeous festive tag Candy. Love it. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love it Candy . You have shared some fab inspiration and ideas as only you can do.

    Crafty hugs

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Candy, this tag is awesome! You used so many fabulous techniques and I love the design of the tag and all the different elements. The faux porcelain letters are so pretty, and the inked and embossed stocking is gorgeous. Love the Santa too, and the facet, and everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning work with beautiful details and colours!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful, festive tag! I love all of the details and techniques. The colors are fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful tag Candy, so many fab details and loving your new stocking. Hugs Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Candy, das Tag ist grandios! Ich liebe den Santa, die Farben und Dekorationen des Strumpfes, die wie altes Emaille schimmernden Buchstaben, die Blüten und die Perle, ich bin schwer beeindruckt über Ihre Umsetzung der TH-Vorgabe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Candy, this tag is wonderful! It's so festive and the glitter is so pretty! Love both santa's, and the sock is so cute! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous sparkly poinsettias, and I love your Father Christmas popping out of the chimney so cheekily! The tiny turquoise Santa tag is just fabulous, and of course I love the text-y background... simply a wonderful tag, Candy!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clever stocking and chimney! Love your sweet santa and all the gorgeous details. Beautiful texture with the gold embossing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This tag is a-ma-zing. So fun to see so many different Tim-inspired techniques used.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this tag, so festive! Love the Santa facet and the stocking is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is so lovely! The perfect blend of bright and cheerful with vintage :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a totally cool idea to have Santa out the chimney! Awesome! Just love your tag Candy, and thanks for sharing the details! Love the edged facet, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Gorgeous tag, Candy! I really love how you pieced it together and the touches of glitter throughout! :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh Candy, Your Chimney Santa tag is a masterpiece!
    Love all the details!
    Thanks for your visit and sweet words. I'm such a BAD girl. LOL
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your work is always to incredibly detailed and well thought out. Love the harlequin stocking and the chimney. Very cool piece of art!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey there sweetness, I could have sworn that I allready visited your blog to see your AMAZING tag, I am loving all the colours you worked on and the gold looks fabulous, you Santa is wonderfull and to have Santa on the chimney is another great idea woww...Love your AMAZING tag with amazing textures wowwzersss Love you lots, xxxx Terry

    ReplyDelete
  25. That was one of the most beautiful tags i have ever seen! the detail was amazing! and the gold was a nice touch! so many great techniques and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!