Sunday, April 21, 2013

COLOR LOVE ~ ART JOURNAL POCKET PAGE

Happy Monday!  
It's time for another Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!  This week...it's all about COLOR LOVE!

The first thing I thought of when I saw this theme was Tim Holtz' New Distress Paints in 24 gorgeous colors!  They are truly amazing, very fluid acrylic paints that hold their color and dry with a beautiful matte finish.  Just like all the other line of Distress Products, they are reactive with water.  But once these dry, they are permanent and they retain their true colors.

Check out this video of Tim Holtz at CHA 2013, talking about these new, fantastic paints!

For my color love challenge piece, I decided to team up the new Distress Paints with another page in my Dylusions Art Journal.

Here is my finished piece.  Colorful enough for you?  This is an art journal page that is created from two art journal pages.  It has been folded and taped to create several pockets to hold a #10 Manila Tag as well as 3 #8 Manila tags.  I saw this idea on Jim The Gentleman Crafter's blog and thought it was such a cool idea!  All of this color is from Tim's new Distress Paints: Mustard Seed, Picked Raspberry and Broken China.  


I began by spritzing a blank journal page with water.  Then I alternated squiggly lines of the Distress Paints running vertically down the dampened paper.  Next I spritzed over the page again with water and picked up the journal, allowing the paint to run. 


I repeated this process on another page because it actually takes two pages to create the tag pockets for the journal.  I did not roll a paper towel roll over the pages to dry them, as you would typically do with Dyan's sprays because I did not want to remove any of the still wet acrylic paint.  Rather, I heat set the paint with my Heat It Craft Tool.  The colors dry to a beautiful, chalky matte finish but they do not loose their vibrant color.

Now it is confession time.  At first, I did not like the page on the left so I ripped it out of the journal and laid it to the side before I heat set the paints.  Then I tried it again on the page to the right.  After I heat set the page on the right, I decided that I really did like the page I thought would be trashed!  So, I heat set it and it became the top piece for my pocket tag page!  Yet another reminder that sometimes what we think looks like an ugly duckling when it's in the beginning stages can turn out to be a swan!!   I added some Mustard Seed Distress Ink to the page on the left and Peacock Feathers Distress Ink to the page on the right to fill in any white areas and further "blend" the colors together.



Since I'd ripped my page out of the journal, it was easier for me to score the left side to create a small pocket for the larger #10 manila tag to sit inside of.  You don't have to tear the page out of your journal though.  But, in my case, I measured in 1" from the left edge and scored that line.  Then I measured in another inch and made another score line.  

 

Then use a piece of 1/4" or 1/2" Scor Tape and apply it to the back side of the first 1" portion of that art journal page.  Remove the tape and fold along the first score line, attaching the first 1" strip to the second 1" strip on the page.  Then put a piece of 1/4" or 1/2" Scor Tape at the inside edge of both ends of the little folded over portion you just made.  Remove the tape backing and attach the two ends to either outside edge of the page.  

 

You have just created a long skinny pocket for a large manila tag to slip into!  Then I stamped my Dylysions design along the face of that skinny pocket.


Next, turn the page over and measure three equal spaces on the backside of the journal page to create three pockets for #8 manila tags to be able to slip into.  As you can see from my page, the spaces measure 3 3/4" each.  Run a piece of 1/4" Scor Tape down the two outside edges of the page, at the 3 3/4" intervals in the center of the page and I ran a couple of 1/4" Scor Tape strips at the bottom of the page.  Then remove the tape backing and lay the page directly over the other page that you have colored and press the tape into place.  Now you have created an art journal page that has a total of 4 pockets on it...1 big skinny pocket and three smaller pockets.  Then embellish your art journal page however you chose to do so.



My page was finished but it needed tags!  So, I used the same technique as I had done on the art journal pages to create the backgrounds on my tags-using the same Distress Paint Colors.  Here is my completed big #10 manila tag.  It is a combination of several Dyan Reaveley stamps.  All of the parts (other than the flowers) were stamped onto Specialty Stamping Paper and then colored using my Tim Holtz detailer water brush and Distress Ink colors to coordinate with the background colors.  The bunting at the top is from Dyan Reaveley's Bags of Bunting stamp set.  I added the little bows and line between each of them with a Faber Castell Fine Point Pitt Pen.  The funky girl in the middle is a combination of Ruby Rainbow body, and a Traveling Travis head, legs and sunglasses.  The sentiment is a combination of two sayings from Dyan's new Say It How It Is stamp set.  The flowers are from Background Love and some flowers are colored in using a Sharpie Fine Point Water Based Marker.  The center is Mustard Seed Distress Paint.

   
In this closeup, you can again see the really cool colors and blending you can get from the Distress Paints.  I also added some "bling" to the sunglasses and Glossy Accents to the hearts on her head and her boots to give them a little dimension and a slick finish.



For the smaller pockets, I created these three smaller tags, also using the same Distress Paints for the background colors.  Each so unique.  The stamps are from Dina Wakley.  The one on the left is Silhouette Script.  The center is Script Heart and the one on the right is Lonely Girl.  I added "LOVE" to the center heart.  That is stamped on a separate sheet of Specialty Stamping Paper that was streaked with Picked Raspberry Distress Paint.  The letters are stamped (as are all of the stamped images) with Jet Black Archival Ink.  They are from Tim Holtz' Worn Text stamp set.  All of the white highlights on the center tag are from the Sharpie marker.  The tag on the right also has some stenciled polka dots from Wendy Vecchi's new Polka Dotty stencil.  I scraped some iridescent blue green paint from Peabo through the stencil and heat set it then drew the little black circles around the dots with the fine point Pitt pen.


Here is my finished art journal page without the big #10 manila tag in its pocket.  I have added some of the iridescent polka dots on this page as well.  And, I swiped some of the paint with my finger along the edges of the pages.  I love the shimmer it adds.  I colored in the funny looking eyeball type design from Dyan Reaveley's Inbetweenies stamp set with the Sharpie fine point water based marker.  I also stamped a couple more Dina Wakley stamps on this page.  The star is called Script Star and the script is called Textured Scrawl.  The black circles were made from dipping the top off of a Dylusions plastic cap into black acrylic paint and stamping it on to the page.  Finally I stamped the image of an eye and stamped "LOVE ART" (from Dyan Reaveley's Word Love stamp set) underneath it.


Here is the finished page with no tags.


And here is the page all put together, including the big #10 manila tag in its place.

I can't believe I almost threw the top of this art journal page away!  I actually LOVE the blended color runs of this page and I really like the way it finished out!

I hope that I've inspried you to create something with color and join our challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show.   If you need some more inspiration, hop on over to the blog and check out the wonderful examples that my Design Teammates have waiting for you.  Then join our challenge.  You could be the lucky winner of our generous sponsors'


$50.00 credit voucher.  You may also be voted one of the TOP THREE entrees for the week!  That is a very nice honor indeed!  Good luck and I can't wait for you to COLOR MY WORLD!

Here are all of the items available at Simon Says Stamp used on on this project:













34 comments:

  1. This is a riot of colour, and may not be your normal vintage spin on things but you have made it look amazing! you do these colours so well hugs trace x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another brilliant masterpiece from you Candy, the colours on this are fabulous and so very you! That irridescent paint through the stencil gives a lovely sheen too. I really love the idea of keeping tags in the journal and they fit so well in Dyan's generous sized journal. I love the lady, she just makes me smile...this is so fabulous! Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool Candy! Love all the happy colours and the folded tag pocket page is real clever. The tags are gorgeous, wonderful stamping and details. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning Candy! Love everything about it! The colours just pop! Fabulous idea for a an art journal! Thanks for showing "how-to"!

    Wishes
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful page. I love the bright colors and the tags in their pocket.(And I think I should have those Distress Paints). ;-)
    Have a nice week.

    Anke x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vivid colours that just burst off the page with life... what a fabulous page(s!)! I love the pocket and the inserted tags, but most of all the one layered on the top... It's all so much fun!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's like a beautiful rainbow on your blog today! Love the brilliant colors and the fun and funky tags!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking a whole lot of rainbow sherbet here! I'm still of the opinion that I often prefer my cast-offs more than I do the planned piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How I love this work, tags, colors, backgrounds, using white to highlight, stamps ..... I have to go on??? Very much in line with my colorful spirit!! Amazing! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great art piece, I love it!!! I am new to journaling and this will really help me,Thanks so much for sharing tutorials with us, I love being able to look a technique up when I have forgotten how to do something lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my Candy, what fabulously vibrant pages and tags you have created. A real riot of beautiful colours and some amazing designs.
    Have a good week.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow fabulous vibrant colours Candy, wonderful mix of colours and images. Love the pocket, adding so much interest to your pages, lovely touch . I love the bunting and the Dylusions image, they coordinate wonderfully with your backdrop. This piece really does cheer you up. Fabulous Candy. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is amazing, Candy! What a great idea too! Love the color explosion you've created! Really fabulous! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! Beautiful tags & pages, Candy! This bright color combo just makes me smile instantly and I love the textures you created too :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so awesome! The colors are spectacular! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow what blasts of color for a fantastic project. Love your creativity. So vivid and interesting with the use of the paint. I am very interested in how you used the score tape; I must admit I have never used it but plan to do so soon. Love the pocket and tags. I can tell this project was fun to create.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So fabulous! Colorful and fun! Thanks for sharing such a great tutorial!

    I pinned it for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, seriously colourful, love the little step by step pics.I think the tags are beautiful, some of my fave stamps that I do not have yet lol x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow Candy, that's what I call colourful! I LOVE that iridescent blue-green paint. I WANTS IT LOL!!! Your self-portrait is fab :-))So glorious to see such a cheerful journal page. Those colours are fabulous. Maddy x

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so awesomely colourful - LOVE this, as it sends a lot of good vibrations over here (which are seriously needed here). A lot of wonderful details are to be discovered and I could never do such a colourful project without creating total chaos... but you rock at it!!

    Big hug (and thanks for the tutorial and the joy).

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh you are so lovely. Thank you for that wonderful comment on my blog. The dies are spellbinders carnation creations so you should be able to get them. They're my favourite flower die and work beautifully with patterned papers too if you do a bit of shaping with an embossing tool. Love maddy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOWZER!!! Colorama!!! I love this Candy! The color is brilliant is fun, and all those tags are fabulous too! Love the page...so cool and interesting to have in a journal!!! Excellent tut as well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. the layers and colors of this have me swooning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I believe the best word to describe this piece is "groovy," and yes, I'm giving away my age. LOL! It seems like you had a blast working on it too, Candy. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A truly colourful project...........so wonderfully thought out and created to perfection.

    Love every detail x I can see Coopers style in this piece......at least at the start :)

    CRafty Hugs

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW, AWESOME AND SO CREATIVE. WOW FACTORS.. I found you from Annie's blog above, and love this kind of work though I am useless at it myself. Have now joined your blog as a new member...luv aNNie...
    http://annieforeva.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  27. Seriously Love all the colors and of course Ms. Sassy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow this is so fab Candy, loving the colours and the great tags. Its a joy to behold, hugs Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is one of the most colorful and most creative journal pages I have ever seen. You did a fabulous job with this. LOVE IT!!!!! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the colours you have used. This is a really beautiful page. x

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is absolutely cool! I am just starting to work with paper, dabbling at cards and I am in love. I have been painting funky furniture for several years but .....I can sit down and just doodle on paper for card making without having to sand anything down! So much easier than furniture. Love your site, great instructions!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!