Sunday, July 7, 2013

TIM'S TINY THINGS DOMINO ACCORDION BOOK

I hope all of the people visiting my blog today who live in the US had a wonderful 
Fourth of July celebration! And Congrats to Andy Murray for finally bringing the Wimbledon Championship back to England! It was a fantastic match!

It's Monday and time for another Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!  This week, it's all about stamping; SMALL stamping to be more precise.  What a perfect opportunity for me to use one of my favorite Tim Holtz releases from this past Winter CHA ... Tiny Things.

I so love this set!  Twenty-Six vintage images all between 1" - 1 1/2".  Perfect for ATCs and small detail work on your projects ... and perfect for a domino accordion book!


I had so much fun making this little book.  The dominoes are regular size dominoes measuring 1" x 2".  


I applied Caramel and Ginger Alcohol Inks in a way to achieve random splotches of color on my dominoes by adding a little alcohol ink to my ink applicator and pouncing it over the smooth surface.


Next, I took a strip of Ranger's Metal Foil Sheet and dry embossed it with Tim Holtz' Damask Texture Fade.  I wanted the metal strip to look old so I covered the embossed metal with Pitch Paint Dabber, added a few spritzs of water and then patted it into the design with a paper towel (also removing the excess paint).  Then I added one of my new favorite play things, Renaissance Treasure Gold Guilding Wax (using my index finger).  Next layer, I added a little Gold Paint Dabber followed with a little Juniper Paint Dabber for an added patina look. When I was happy with my metal strip, I cut it into 3/8" strips and attached them around the sides of both dominoes.  



The metal sheet foil already has an adhesive backing but I added a little Glossy Accents to the sides of the dominoes, just to be sure I got great contact.  I burnished all of the edges with a Bone Folder and set the dominoes to the side.


I cut a strip of manila cardstock in a 1 7/8" x 7" strip.  I scored every 7/8" to create little pages for my accordion book.  Each page is slightly smaller than the domino covers.  The 7" strip enabled me to have 8 pages, including the each end that would cover the inside of the dominoes.  

I distressed both sides of the cardstock with Vintage Photo followed by Broken China, Wild Honey and Rusty Hinge.  Then I added a little more Broken China and aged the edges a little with Gathered Twigs and a touch of Black Soot. 


I decided on a tiny stamp image for each of the pages and stamped them in place using Jet Black Archival Ink.  Then I colorized them with a Detailer Water Brush and various Distress Ink colors listed below.  It was so much fun to bring each little image to life with those Distress Ink colors; and coloring with the Detailer Water Brush is so easy.  I love the results!  When I was finished with all of the coloring, I added "travel" and "fly" from Tim Holtz' ChitChat.  "Look Within" on the mirror page is from Tim's Words Remnants Rub Ons.  Those little rub ons are great!  As a final touch to the interior pages, I added a touch of Renaissance Treasure Gold to all of the edges.  That really popped the images even more!



Now that the interior pages were finished, it was time to do more stamping on the alcohol inked dominoes that would soon become the covers for my little book.  I chose the hot air balloon and the globe for the covers of my book.  I stamped them right on to the alcohol ink surface with Jet Black Archival Ink.  You have to be careful not to slide the stamp on the smooth surface of the dominoes.  It is easy to do; but thankfully, I had steady hands and didn't smear my images.  I heat set them with my Heat It Craft Tool and then began filling in the colors.  First I used various Distress Ink colors and heat set each one.  Then I followed up with Fired Brick, Broken China and Mustard Seed Distress Paints that had been cut with water to make them more translucent.  Then I heat set them again.  I love the results...color but not too bright.  A perfect vintage look!  Then I added two more sentiments from Tim's Words Remnants Rub Ons ... the perfect size for such a small area that I was working with.



Now to assemble my little accordion book...I applied 1/4" Scor Tape along the center of the back side of one of the dominoes and added a 12" piece of waxed thread to create a closure for my book.  Then I added 1/4" Scor Tape around all of the inside edges of the back side of the dominoes.  I attached one side of the interior pages in place and then I attached the other side; being sure that the dominoes lined up and were straight.


I almost had an oops moment!  To close my book, I had decided to wrap the cord around the book but I had no way of attaching it to anything.  I decided to remedy that by adding two Long Fasteners as little knobs to wrap the cord around; but how to attach them?  I pulled out my drill and using a 5/64 drill bit (a very small hole), I drilled two holes in the center of what would become the front of my little book.  I didn't have to drill very far; just far enough that I could hot glue and stick the cut off shanks of the Long Fasteners down into the holes I'd drilled.  Worked like a charm! 


I added a little winged heart charm that I had sitting around to the other end of the thread and my little domino book is complete.  What a fun way to spend a day in the studio...stamping, coloring and playing!



Why don't you join us at Simon Says Stamp and Show by using your small stamps and creating something fun?  Then enter it in our challenge where you could be the lucky winner of our weekly random drawing for .... 


a $50.00 credit voucher to Simon Says Stamp.  You could also receive special recognition for being one of our top artistic entries with our new feature ...



So, put on your creative thinking cap and let's see what you can come up with!

Here are all of the products available at Simon Says Stamp that were used in creating this little accordion domino book: 

49 comments:

  1. Just beautiful Candy, very inspiring :-) Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a tiny tiny wonderful piece, Candy!

    The very yesterday evening I made a similar one...but I refused to use the drill, because it was nearly finished and I was too afraid to spoil it.. don't really know how to close it or hang some beads...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous domino book Candy and fantastic step by step! So many lovely details to admire, like the embossed metal foil around the edges and the clever way of closing your booklet with that winged heart charm at the bottom. And of course the inside looks great too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has anyone told you lately just how amazing you are . . . well someone is telling you now. Your art blows my mind.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really are THE most inspirational lady - ever! This is just about the most beautiful little book I have ever laid eyes upon - I LOVE it so much. All those little stamps work so perfectly but it is your treatment of the dominoes that really stands out - the inking, stamping, foiling and then the genius idea for the fastener - wow, wow, wow Candy!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, so cute and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh WOW! This is so absolutely fabulous! Like the idea to use the foil too, have to try this. Thanks for sharing. Suzanne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore domino books, they can be so addictive. Loving yours with those brilliant stamps, perfect for the job. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhhhhh!! I'm so glad I get to be the first person to leave a comment for this new project!! I just love it. The domino "covers" are incredible. Perfect choice of alcohol inks to give such a richness to the stamped images. And the embossed metal edging for the covers is pure genius. A fab way to show off Tim's stamps (I sooooo want those!). Did I say that I love this project?! I think I did. Love it and *pinned*.

    Have a lovely day -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. This little domino book is so beautiful. I love all the stamped images, but the sides of the dominos really blew me away. Such a gorgeous effect. I think you solved your little oops briliantly =).
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful work,love the sachet,wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this teeny domino book and how you finished the edges. Another perfect project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a stunning domino book! Love the gorgeous covers and all those little stamps are so beautiful! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolute divine creativity in miniature! Love everything about it Candy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! I love the inside but the edges and the outside just wow! I love the metallic binding and the little charm on the end of the string that you tie it close with is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YOU are a treasure. What a beautiful little mini book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YOU are a treasure. What a lovely little mini book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Candy, this is so lovely. I was thinking how cool it would be if there were a hole bunch of them on a coffee table somewhere and you would go and sit down and pick a random one up and be inspired by its message. The dominoes are incredible. So glad I stopped by here today! What a lovely thing to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous project! Since a while I try desperately to alter the dominoes like yours, but here in Italy we really are light years behind the United States and for people like me who love this type of art is really hard to keep up with their own ideas, since they do not have the resources to produce them! Your project is stunning, I love it in all its details! Hugs BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful domino book Candy and such a wonderful idea for this challenge and to use the Tiny Things stamps. Love the colours, embossed metal, little special touches, and the clever closure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh... this is amazing, Candy. What a fantastic piece of artwork! I love the beautiful metallic colors, textures and all the fabulous stamping and deails. Great design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Candy, I absolutely love this! In fact I love it so much I'm going to have to have a go at making one!! Thank you so much for he inspiration. Maddy x

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are brilliant! I love the way you drilled the holes and attached the string! The metal going around really transforms this as well! The tiny images inside are perfect! Stellar make!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been wanting to make one of these since I saw Tim make one on Carol Duvall way back when. And I have tons of dominoes...now just to sit down and do it. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastically made Candy - not easy at all with tiny sizes - this looks superb. Thank-you for yummy deets and great photos too. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jaw-droppingly brilliant... fabulous tiny stamping, gorgeous gilding, wonderful metal edging to the dominoes - with all your amazing attention to detail, you've created a miniature masterpiece! I've been coveting those stamps since they came out - what a pity I didn't order them a couple of weeks ago!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great accordion card, Candy! I love the texture you added! So cool!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is just so amazing Candy. The detail is fabulous and just an outstanding little piece of work
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is just fantastic! I absolutely love the metal edge with all that yummy embossing. Amazing details, beautiful colors...a real keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The cutest little book I've ever seen. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is so cool...and tiny! lol! Love it, and the colors are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your domino booklet is awesome, Candy!

    I love every detail: the embossed metal foil edges, the stamping and alcohol inking - well, the whole tiny piece of great artwork to be honest :))

    A beautiful make, full of poetry!

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  33. A new breathtaking art work. Your booklet is again a masterpiece. I love your blog, every visit is a great inspiration!
    Hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love domino books Candy and this is a little beauty, perfect for Tim's tiny stamps. The metal edges round the dominoes are a great idea.
    Have a great week.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  35. hi its me again - just stopping by to say thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment. I really love it when you do.

    ReplyDelete
  36. OH MY GOODNESS this is sooooo gorgeous,I looooove domino art, the colors, the foil embossing, is stunning, love those tiny stamps you used on the fantastic backgrounds you created, OMG, I love the book, outstanding work Miss Candy thanks for sharing all this inspiration, how to make it fantastic. I have an old set of dominoes just waiting, for some alcohol inks and some tiny stamps:O) Have a wonderful day...

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is just fabulous! I wish I could touch it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Candy this is a real gem, what a treasure of gorgeous images and just absolutely fab! Hugs trace x

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is AMAZING. I love all the tiny little details!

    ReplyDelete
  40. OMG...I'm out of words...this is a really stunning artwork... :))

    ReplyDelete
  41. What an amazing teeny journal, Candy! I love all the different techniques and that fab texture on the outside edges. Super!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Amazing box. Love your row of stamping but the the embossed strip around the box is such an genius idea. WTG

    ReplyDelete
  43. OMG what a fantastic artwork!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. WOW...Great tutorial & amazing work... I found you via Redanne... you have a beautiful blog full of Gorgeous creations....Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  45. I came here from Anne's blog to have a closer look! Gorgeousness and love what you did on the domino sides! My first ever domino book that I did in April, I also used Tim's mini stamps! Aren't they so perfect for this! Love this domino book! Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I think using that side technique would also be lovely used on individual pieces and making a pendant. I may give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it works beautifully for pendants! I have done it several times!! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!