Saturday, April 11, 2015

VINTAGE SMUDGE STAMPING TAG FOR COMPENDIUM OF CURIOSITIES III

Happy Saturday everybody!  
Welcome to my blog and the next in our series of challenges  at the Compendium of Curiosities III Challenges hosted by the lovely and talented Linda Ledbetter. 

This is number 26 on our way to a total of 34 challenges based on Tim Holtz' Compendium of Curiosities III book featuring his products and all sorts of techniques and applications.

This challenge is a technique challenge called "Smudge Stamping".  Since this is a technique challenge, I cannot share the steps in the process with you but if you'll turn to page 42 in your book, you will find pictures and the step by step process for Smudge Stamping.

Now, I CAN share my vintage tag with you, the colors I used, the products I used and as much about the creation of the tag as I can.  Since I wanted to really let this Smudge Stamping technique be the focus of my tag, I did not add a lot of dimension and elements to it. And while this feels sort of "naked" to me because I really like to add lots of detail to my work, there is something I really love about the simplicity of this tag.


Here is my finished Smudge Printing tag. 

I did some masking on the top of the tag, added color to the smudge stamped lady's face and I also combined Distress Inks on the Union Jack Flag before smudging it.  So, maybe this will give you some ideas on how you can add some interest to the Smudge Stamping technique.  


I began with a #10 or large Manila Tag. I stamped this valance from Tim's Classics #18 stamp set onto a couple of tags to experiment with.  I used Fired Brick and Aged Mahogany to ink the stamp.  Then I used the excess ink to print as an additional image that I cut out and used as a mask. Of course I did Tim's smudge stamp technique on the valance underneath this mask. 


Next I stamped this beautiful face from Tim's Classic #5 stamp set (using Black Soot Distress Ink) right below the masked valance. I used the same smudge stamping technique but one had more ink on the stamp that the other.

I stamped "LONDON" horizontally underneath the neck using Worn Lipstick Distress Ink.


For the Union Jack (from Tim's From Paris to London stamp set), I wanted to combine blue and red to the flag.  So, instead of using a Distress Ink Pad, I used the Distress Ink Markers to color the stamp.  Then I used Tim's smudge stamping technique when placing the Union Jack under "LONDON". 


Next I stamped Big Ben from Tim's London Sights stamp set in Black Soot and did Tim's smudge stamp technique on it as well. I gave "LONDON" a distinct outline with a black permanent marker and then added some shadowing with a graphite pencil and water brush.  After I finished it, I thought it also looked like that famous London fog we often hear about.  I also added "life is good" from Tim's Simple Sayings stamp set, stamped on Manila scrap and outlined in black underneath her chin to add more contrast to the tag.

I used some colored pencils to give color to the face and I added a hint of grey to Big Ben.
I also added some distressing around the perimeter of the tag using first Gathered Twigs and then Black Soot Distress Inks.


Here is a photograph of the basic tag with the smudge stamping completed.  I like how it shows the smudge stamping technique but it was screaming for just a few more elements to give it more "umph".  


So ... I added a narrow strip of Tim's Harlequin Tissue Tape along the right side of the tag and a couple of pieces of vintage lace to the bottom of the tag to give it a more finished look. The laces also provided some extra length to the tag so I could add the postage stamps and the Foot Guard to offset Big Ben at the top of the tag. I also stamped "enjoy the journey" from Tim's Simple Sayings stamp set across the Union Jack using Jet Black Archival Ink.


Next I wanted to add some vintage ribbon at the top of the tag and I wanted it to be in the colors of the tag: red, blue and cream.  So, beginning with Faded Jeans Distress Ink, I sandwiched the ribbon in between my non stick craft sheet and the ink pad and pulled the ribbon through.  I added a spritz of water until the color was totally absorbed into the ribbon.  I repeated this process for the Worn Lipstick (red) and Antique Linen (cream) ribbon strips - wiping up the ink on the craft sheet in between each use of ink pads. Then I gently crinkled up the ribbon and heat set it. 


I tied the bow to the top of the tag and that finished it off nicely, pulling all of the colors together.

So, that is my smudge stamping technique tag...easy and fun!  Now it's YOUR turn to create something and enter our Compendium of Curiosities III challenge. 

You could win one of two fabulous prizes donated by the Funkie Junkie Boutique and Tim and Mario.  Want to know what you can win????


Linda Coughlin of the Funkie Junkie Boutique has donated a $25.00 gift certificate to use in her online store.  Linda is a great lady and offers a huge array of products.  Thank you, Linda!

And before this latest edition of The Compendium of Curiosities Challenges started, Tim and Mario graciously donated A LOT of Tim Holtz products to be given as prizes.  A huge thank you to Tim and Mario as well!  

Each challenge, two lucky winners are awarded either a gift certificate from one of our two online sponsors or a generous prize package full of goodies from Tim and Mario.  Great prizes and great fun in playing along with us!

Good luck! 


41 comments:

  1. A beautiful tag with fantastic details Candy. Great layering and that woman is clearly thinking of being in London. TFS
    Have a lovely weekend
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Candy this is incredibly beautiful the images, especially the face, look amazing the distressed vintage look is perfection, I love it.
    hugs
    lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Candy! I love the images you chose and the curtain is such a great addition! A wonderful vintage tag! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO NICE! I love the face image!
    YOU did such a great JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful Candy! The face stamp is always so captivating. Love all your little touches to set the tag off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, as always Candy! The smudge technique looks so dreamy on your background. I'm sure it was hard for you to leave this so "nekid" (Texas-speak), but trust me its just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bow and the English theme is perfect. Beautiful job

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your reference to London fog really made me smile, we don't get so much of it these days but I can see what you mean! I do love the face and the way you used the valance. The 'London' really pops with that black edging. It is quite CAS for you but nevertheless it is a real beauty! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another favorite technique! You've done a great job showing off the smudge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love the way you colored the stamped images; so soft and pretty. The lady looks like she's wearing a very elaborate and elegant hat...perhaps on her way to an afternoon tea?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful Foggy London tag. Love all the little details you've added. Using colored pencils over the smudge stamping turned out beautifully. Love her blue eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot get over how fantastic this tag looked totally flat, before the embellishment. It had such dimension without anything added, but I agree that those last little additions were just what it needed to feel complete. And it's a BEAUTY! Always love your style, Candy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this London themed tag Candy! The face is colored wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is gorgeous girly...Love it. Fabulous tag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cool! I think I must point out that London Fogs are not as pretty as this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW ... this is just amazing , the colors , your smudge ! What I love most is it has a "dreamy feel " the face stamp ... the colors to her face the lip color ... then the vintage lace at the bottom ... you can "feel" and see that Life Is Good !

    ReplyDelete
  17. No wonder I look so forward to the projects you post: we love alot of the same stuff!! This tag is just....well, let's me say that I read, & RE-read how you got this look. I'm learning how new I kinda still am at these Challenges, but it feels like each one brings more ideas, more how-to's, more encouragement, and I finish out each by adding to my ever-growing 'Small World' of ppl who are very talented & truly gifted ARTISTS!!!
    My own entry for #26 had to be flat ( so it can be used as a bookmark in perhaps rather expensive books- so I made sure to laminate it totally), but after seeing all you did here....WHOA! I'M GAME!!! :D PS: That really DOES look like it could be fog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Makes me "homesick" for London...although in fivevyears there, never experienced a London fog... Love how you used the technique in every adpe t of the card!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cool! Love the ribbons and the stamping. Life is Good, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW, Candy! This tag is soooo pretty!! The smudge stamping technique looks Wonderful with these larger images--you can really see how the smudging softens the lines, and almost creates a fog-like appearance. Just Gorgeous, Candy!! Such a wonderful inspiration for this CC3#26 challenge :) Thanks, Candy!! :) XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my Candy - how can a stamped face on a tag be soooooo beautiful??? She is gorgeous. I have never been too far out of Texas but your creation makes me smile thinking of the "mystery" of going somewhere like London. Thank you for sharing the way you made this. j

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the theme of your tag, makes me want to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a cool theme Candy! I love the colors you used as well!

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW what a STUNNING tag Candy! Where do I start? The London theme perhaps? I love how you coloured the ladies face. The blue eyes Are a really nice touch. Another beautiful piece from you as always. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Candy!!!! STUNNING!!! LOVE the London images, so perfectly stamped and you nailed the technique and have the perfect sample for everyone to see! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stunning tag, Candy! Amazing smudge stamping and great images so perfectly arranged! Thank you for the inspiration!
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loved your tag. I especially liked the technique you used on your ribbon. So much color. Thanks for a great trip around the world...

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely London lass! Great tag showing the technique, makes me want to pack my bag!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh she is beautiful, Candy! The valence in red over her pretty head is a nice touch! Love all the smudged stamping goodness! Finally got over here! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for showing both the smudge technique and how to use it with other techniques! It is inspiring. Love the border on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  31. So British, so vintage, so smudgy, so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your tag came out great! I love the valance...can't believe I never saw/noticed it before...when I'm always looking for "framing" images...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. She looks beautiful Candy...you always amaze me! This is a fab tag and love all the London elements you used. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Candy, this is a shining example of the smudge stamping technique! I love your subject matter,and how you linked all those elements together without making it look too busy. Great idea to color your ribbon in that way to go with the Union Jack. My favorite--Big Ben! Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love how the bows look like a hat for the stamped lady. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Candy, I love your tag and the various ways you used the smudge stamping technique. I love the way you used the mask with the valance stamp and the coordinated colors of your Crinkle Ribbon.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!