Saturday, July 4, 2015

OH SO SWEET VINTAGE CANVAS WITH FROSTED FILM

Happy 4th of July to all of my American friends! 
I hope you all have a safe holiday spent with family and friends.

The Curiosity Crew is out with another challenge from Tim Holtz' fabulous Compendium of Curiosities III Book. If you have been following along with our
Compendium of Curiosities III Challengeyou know this is number 32 of 34 challenges.  My goodness ... time is FLYING!

We've had so much fun sharing Tim's techniques and products with you and putting our own spin on each challenge.  And the entries we've been receiving are really amazing!  So much thought and time has gone into your creations and I speak the truth when I say that often we REALLY have a difficult time picking a Curiosity Crew Winner.  THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU for your participation and for your uplifting comments!

Let's continue to ramp it up this challenge with something really original and creative!!

Turn to page 59 in your Compendium of Curiosities III books and check out Frosted Film.  This is more of a product challenge than a technique challenge but if you follow along in Tim's book, you will see that he didn't just slap the Frosted Film on something and call it "done".  There is a bit of technique to it...even if you use a different substrate than Tim did with the Frosted Film.  That's all I'm saying about that ...  

I have to admit that this challenge didn't finish out anywhere near the way I started.  I'll show you photos at the end of this post as to how I started out and what I created using the Frosted Film.  I like them but somewhere between the daisies and starting to work on the canvas, I switched gears and went from whimsical to vintage.  I love the end results and I'll use the Frosted Film daisies on something else.


sweet vintage canvas with tim holtz die cut window, vintage buttons, frosted film window

Here is my finished 5"x7" Burlap Tim Holtz Canvas.



I began by cutting some scrap Tim Holtz Wallflower cardstock into squares and rectangles and added them to the canvas using DecoArt's wonderful Media Matte Medium.  I heat set them to dry. 



Next I brushed on a light coat of White Gesso, heat set that and added a layer of Scattered Straw Distress Paint (heat set to dry). 



To add more color, I randomly added some Abandoned Coral followed by Cracked Pistachio Distress Paints.  Heat set to dry. 



To add more texture and dimension, I used some really dependable DecoArt Media Modeling Paste through Tim Holtz' Brick Stencil.  I gently heat set the Modeling Paste and allowed it to finish drying naturally.  That only took about 30 minutes.



To give the bricks more dimension, I lightly brushed some Adirondak Terra Cotta Paint (mixed with a tiny bit of water) over them and blotted off the excess paint. After heat setting them, I used DecoArt's Media Titanium White Media Acrylic Paint to dry brush over the bricks.  It is amazing how much detail and dimension you can achieve by dry brushing!  Next I lightly did a little more dry brushing on some of the bricks and randomly around the edges of the canvas with DecoArt Media Media Burnt Umber Acrylic Paint.  Finally I swiped a little Picket Fence Distress Paint over some of the open areas and partially wiped it with a baby wipe.  Setting it to the side, I began working with Tim's Frosted Film.



I die cut Tim's Window and Window Box with Grungeboard.  I also die cut one of Tim's Pediments for the top of the window.  I die cut one window, two window boxes and three Pediments.  I glued the window boxes and Pediments together with Glossy Accents.



I swiped Antique Linen Distress Paint over all of the window surfaces and then I painted all of the surfaces with a mixture of  Mermaid Lagoon and Picket Fence Distress Paints (using a brush to get into all of the corners and cracks). After gently heat setting the window, I brushed on a layer of DecoArt's Crackle Medium and let it air dry. When that was complete, I added a light layer of DecoArt's Lace Chalk Paint and watched the crackling begin!  Like magic, the cracks appeared, giving my window that farmhouse aged look. I heat set the window and then began adding subtle color with Distress Inks.  Mermaid Lagoon provided the blue tones I was wanting to recapture on top of the predominantly soft white window while I wanted the Pediment and window box to be more blue. I distressed the edges with a bit of Vintage Photo followed by Gathered Twigs Distress Ink along the edges.  Acrylic paints and Distress Inks work so well together! Don't be afraid to combine them on your art pieces! 


  
Next I die cut a beautiful little delicate vine and flowers called "Lavish Branch" from Memory Box.  I used a fairly deep green cardstock and then lightened it by lightly swiping my Picket Fence Distress Paint over it and completely covering the little flowers with white paint.  Using Mustard Seed and Abandoned Coral Distress Paint, I painted the little flowers and later added tiny pearls to the centers using Glossy Accents.

I found a sweet little vintage girl in my folders of vintage children photos and sized her to fit my window, positioning her so that her sweet little face would not be covered up with the window panes. I placed the Frosted Film over her and added Tattered Flowers and a touch of Gathered Twigs at the edge of the photograph to the film then using 1/4" Scor Tape (double sided tape), I glued the "window" in place behind the die cut window.



I cut the vines apart and glued them in place on my window box using Glossy Accents.  Then I added some more dimensional roses that I had in my stash.



Finally I added some pop dots to make the window box stand out and glued the window box in place at the bottom of the window.  Then I glued the Pediment in place at the top of the window.



I stamped "be kind of heart" a wonderful sentiment from Wendy Vecchi's My Kind of Art stamp set onto a piece of a muslin type frayed ribbon. I colored in the letters using my Broken China fine point side on the Distress Marker.  The ribbon is glued in place using 1/2" Scor Tape.



Originally I was going to place the window in the center of the canvas but I started fooling around with a layout and came up with the idea to add a piece of vintage lace. I loved the lace on the right side of the canvas. So I moved the window to the side. Next I found my sweet little vintage buttons, a heart charm and the two filigree corners.  I sewed the buttons and heart charm onto the lace before I glued it in place. 

Speaking of the beautiful little heart charm and the filagree corners ... I bought these from our sponsor for this challenge ... The Funkie Junkie Boutique!  Linda Coughlin is the owner and her store has tons a very cool little embellishments, laces and those "different" things that make your art projects so much more personalized.  She's also got a big FOURTH OF JULY SALE going on right now so be sure to check her out!

I glued the lace in place using three strips of 1/8" Scor Tape and then glued the filigree corners in place using Glossy Accents.  I LOVE the way it gives such a soft, shabby chic vintage feeling to the canvas. 



Finally, I glued one of Tim's heart charms onto a filigree butterfly, added some thin wire antenna and glued it in place on the upper left of the window.  The perfect finishing touch!



Here is a close up of the detail and the dimension of this sweet crackled window. If you look really closely, you can see the clear frosty film that represents the window panes. I love the softness of the "glass" panes and how sweet this window and window box turned out.

Now ... I will quickly show you how this Frosted Film Project started out ...



Using Matte Medium, I glued some of Tim's Terminology Tissue Wrap onto a piece of heavy white cardstock.  Once that was dry, I sprayed Dyan Reaveley's Lemon Zest and a bit of Pure Sunshine Dylusions sprays over the Tissue Wrap and heat set it. 



Next I added the Frosted Film over the sprayed Tissue Wrap and die cut the daises from Tim's Tattered Florals die cut.  



Using a text stamp, I stamped on the back side of the daisies that had also be sprayed with the Dylusions sprays.  I gathered three daisies together with a long fastener and curled the petals using the small end of a paint brush handle.  I DISCOVERED THAT WHEN I HEAT SET THE FROSTED FILM, IT ALSO BEGAN TO CURL! 


Next I had some little Paper Clay faces that I had molded and dried.  So, I painted three of the faces and used them as the centers of the daisies.  



Then I added Black Diamond Stickles to the edges of the petals.  Looking back, I probably should have done the Stickles on each of the daisies while they were flat and before I gathered them together.  Live and learn, I guess.  Anyway ... I was going to use these daisies underneath my die cut window but once I began working on the canvas and the window, the daisies just weren't going to work anymore ... too large, too bright and too whimsical.  But, as I said earlier, I will use them on something else.



For this challenge, I really loved the way this canvas turned out and it will definitely have a place on my studio wall.

Now it's your turn to turn to pull out the Frosted Film and make something wonderful for our challenge.  There are only three challenges left (including this one)!  


Linda Coughlin of THE FUNKIE JUNKIE BOUTIQUE has graciously donated a $25.00 gift certificate throughout our entire Compendium of Curiosities III Challenges along with the wonderful people at Inspiration Emporium.  THANK YOU LINDA!

And Tim and Mario have also so generously donated tons of Tim's products to be given away to one of our winners each challenge as well.  So, there are two opportunities each challenge for you to win a wonderful prize!  And you also get to share your art with all of the other wonderful artists who join us and not only share their work but support each other with wonderful comments!

I hope you'll join us!
Good luck!





37 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Candy, I really look forward to see what you end up doing with the frosted film daisies, which by the way are gorgeous. Very winsical. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful, fun canvas, it's adorable. I loved those daisies but no they didn't go! Whole new garden to be created for them? Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely Candy! I adore the little girl at her window- soo sweet!!
    Your daisies for another day are adorable as well!!
    Happy 4th to you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely canvas Candy !! Just gorgeous and so sweety!! And I also like very much your little daisies flowers..... great ! big hugs. Caty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is just the sweetest ever Candy! Love it to bits! So glad you will have it on display. Wishing you and yours a very happy 4th July! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am over the moon excited to make this for my sister! IOmg I love the little girl in the window!, and the red bricks are a nice touch! I have that same clear vintage button!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Candy you were right to change her mind about the project, what you have created is a masterpiece (but you're never wrong), this canvas is so sweet and nice, the window is a jewel of technique. Looking at this canvas sweetens my heart, thank you for everything you share.
    Happy Independence Day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Candy girl, you know I'm a fan. This canvas is just fabulous. Love the Frosted Film over the little pensive girl, the effect is perfect. I always learn from your layering process. You make me want to slam my laptop closed and run to the studio! Have a happy 4th, hope you get to enjoy fireworks with your little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Candy, this is totally GORGEOUS. I was pinning like a madwoman as I read through the posts and saw all your beautiful photos. I love the whimsy of the girl behind the window... best use of that die ever. You've really knocked this one out of the ballpark.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before I forget to say it, I LOVE your whimsical daisies, they are just darling! Your creations are always exquisitely designed and executed and this is right up there with some of my all time favourites of yours. The girl behind the window is delightful although she looks a little sad... the window looks fabulous, I love how you aged it and the little flowers work beautifully. This really is a gorgeous piece of work. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The flowers will be so cool on another make! LOVE the girl in the window...she's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. absolutely stunning candy - I adore this piece - so full of summer joy xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Candy, this is one of my favorites from you! I love everything about the canvas! The frosted film over the girl is so wonderful! Your tutorial is amazing as always. I love how you used paints! That girl is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just brilliant Candy!! I love seeing your process pics, it's such a treat to see how your projects come to life! So many wonderful techniques and textures, LOVE the vibrant flowers and what you did with the frosted film!! Just stunning! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Candy, brilliant tutorial and love the finished canvas. So much fantastic detail.
    Happy crafting, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unbelievable, Candy. I have to say I might be your biggest fan. You are amazing. This canvas is so delightful, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading through your process and watching it come alive. That crackle technique on the window turned out so cool. And your color choices are some of my favorites. One can never go wrong with the fantastic contrast of turquiose blues and bright reds and yellows. So eye-catching. Now, I expect to see those whimsical daisy kids show up again in the near future. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many layers of loveliness to admire. The whole effect is just wonderful, thanks for sharing this with us. Love the daises too, they remind me of Disney's Alice in Wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the step by step, I am always overwhelmed by creating those multi media projects. You made it look doable!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant! LOVE that window!

    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is simply enchanting, Candy! The frosted film window makes that sweet little girl look so angelic, but really, there's just an ethereal feeling about this entire panel :) It's like a vintagey romantic daydream--Soooo pretty!! Thank you so much for sharing how you created this :) :) XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  21. a fab project, love all those layers and textures and the colours you have chosen for this are great x

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is precious!!! I love all the layers. Just amazing as usual!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I didn't realize there were only two challenges to go! That makes me a bit sad. I hope Tim is hard at work on book four :) The window you created is just dreamy. I adore your work.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Candy! What a work of art! I love the collaged background, all the texture and your beautiful window frame! Your attention to detail amazes me! Obviously made with a lot of love and patience! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is just WAAAY over the top, Gurl!!!! First, U've got that brick goin' on in Ur background (& I finally DID get that Stencil...Yipeee!!!), then U added that window pane - which I am now completely kicking myself for not getting last shopping trip when I found it finally. I kept thinking' Ya know...THIS would make a really CUTE frame for several photos I take in summer...' & then decision-decision makes U think of the projects U've already GOT GOING, & U think 'Naaaah. It'll wait till next time,' & stick it bk up on the hook for the person next to U still looking at that last die,too. (BOOT KICK!!!....OW!!!) Cause this is SO STNKIN' NEAT using that ULTRA-ROMANTIC Frosted w it!!!! Ur flowers are just WAY PROFESSIONALLY DONE SO PERFECTLY!!! And, while U think U should've done the Stickles on those ADORABLE sunflower faces FIRST (before they curled in heat...thanks for showing that tip, too, before the sunflower fields around here all start blooming in August!!) I often find that my 'crudely-done-mistakes end up looking cuter than the more neatly done ones. Like my sewing machine- that thing has fought w me from Day1 on tension. But use it for my Tags & paper projects, & it turns out 'roughly sewn' looking PERFECT for MY likes!!! *shrug* 😁 As always, Candy, Ur work just rises above all the rest!!!! 👏👍❤️

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow.. such a gorgeous creation, Candy. Love the beautiful background and the flowers are fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a pretty window scene and flower box, cute butterfly and love the addition of the lace... wonderful touch ! And those "beginning" daisies ... too cute !!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Candy, you just blow me away! This by far is the best altered burlap panel I have ever seen and in fact, I am going to pin this baby! I love that window, brickwork and all the pretty layers! Can't wait to see your frosted film daisies in full action! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Candy, I looooove your canvas. It is so beautiful and I think it ended up just perfect. =)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really like how the DT is using the film as "windows" in their examples. It's such a logical use of frosted film so why didn't *I* think of it? LOL

    Your background is astounding! On the surface, it appears to be a complex process but the end result is so coordinated! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Always, always appreciate that you put so much effort and time into explaining and demonstrating each step of your process. I have yet to break into my box of Frosted Film and need all the inspiration I can get! Wonderful idea to use the window frame; this is so very pretty and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is my favorite this week! I love how you built up the background and textures of the canvas, even before you added the window. I'm glad you went the way you did, but those daisy's are cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. A wonderful canvas Candy! I love the way you have used the frosted film as the window panes. There are so many other lovely details as well . I look forward to seeing what you do with those little daisy faces ! Toni x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Candy, your canvas is wonderful. I love how you worked through the process. The frosted film gives such vintage feel. I can't wait to see how you use the daisies.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is lovely and awesome. SO MANY STEPS! WOWSERS!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Candy, this is drop dead gorgeous! I am in awe!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's so amazing to see how you began and ended! I loved the roses on the burlap in the beginning - that excited me... and then it was gone! BUT... I have to say - in the end... I didn't miss the roses at all because your project just turned out so WONDERFUL. So much to see, so much dimension, so much texture - it's all just LUSCIOUS. Love the sentiment on the frayed fabric. The colors, the crackle, the bricks - it's just full of YUMMINESS. SUPER FINE Candy... so happy that you included it in your 7 projects in 7 days!!! XX j.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!