Tuesday, March 7, 2017

NUMBERS CANVAS FOR CREATIVE CARTE BLANCHE

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to my blog and my "Numbers" piece for Creative Carte Blanche this month. Yvonne Blair is hosting this month's adventure and it's a good one!  Numbers are such an important of our lives.

I recently saw something on (I think it was) Facebook and it fascinated me.  Sorry I don't have the link. I wanted to give it a try.  So, I combined it with another idea I had for a "numbers canvas".  I like the way it turned out!



Want to know how I did it?  Well, let's get going on this art adventure and I'll show you. This melting crayon thing was so much fun!  You really need to try it!


I began with an 8" x 10" canvas.  Using Tim Holtz' Numbered Stencil, I scraped DecoArt Media Crackle Paste over it, using a palette knife.  I randomly placed the numbers on the lower half of the canvas and left a space for my silhouette girl holding an umbrella.  Let the crackle paste air dry and clean off the stencil and palette knife immediately.


I had already temporarily placed the silhouette girl on the canvas before I added the crackle paste numbers.  But then I put her back in place and drew a pencil line around her placement for the next steps.


I removed the silhouette again.  I added some of Tim Holtz Alpha Parts Numbers; both the actual numbers and the spelled out numbers.  These are black plastic.  I glued them in place using DecoArt Media Liquid Glass.  Once dry, I brushed over the entire surface of the canvas with DecoArt Media White Gesso to make everything white and opaque.


Once that way dry, I place the Tim Holtz Numbered stencil back over my numbers and scraped over them again with DecoArt Media Crackle Paste.  Let them air dry as you are cleaning off the stencil and palette knife.


At this point, your canvas will look like this.  The top is left bare for the crayons that will later be hot glued across the top.  The space between "19" and the crackled numbers is for the little silhouette girl holding the umbrella.


I decided to paint over the entire canvas with a light yellow.  So I combined DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics Titanium White and Hansa Yellow Light.  I then brushed the soft yellow over the entire canvas and let it dry.


Now this is what the canvas looks like.


I found this little girl silhouette on Google Images.  She originally had a different umbrella that I didn't like so I edited it out and added a different one.  I printed her out onto a sheet of heavy white cardstock.  I glued a couple of layers of plain heavy cardstock underneath her and then cut her out.  The extra cardstock gave her more strength and a little dimension.


Just placing her on the canvas to see how she is going to look ... I like it!  On to the next step!


I tapped my little silhouette girl all over with an Embossing Ink Pad and laid her on a piece of plain white paper.  I then sprinkled Black Embossing Power all over her, tapped her to remove the excess and returned the excess embossing powder to the jar. Next I heat set the embossing powder.  I liked the bit of glossiness it gave her and it also strengthen her. 



I took a charcoal pencil and added shading around all of the crackled numbers and the Alpha Parts raised plastic numbers; both spelled out and just the numbers themselves.  Next, using my fingertip, I dabbed DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics Carbon Black onto the surface of the Alpha Parts numbers and spelled out numbers.



I measured  2" down from the top of the 8" x 10" canvas and drew a line across the canvas.  This would be the line that I would line up the crayon points to as I began hot gluing them in place.  I had decided the way I would arrange the crayons prior to my beginning to glue them in place and laid out the crayons above the canvas.  Only about half of the crayons are glued onto the canvas.  The rest of the crayons stick out above the canvas but I don't think it matters.



Here is the way the canvas looks at this point.



With the crayons glued in place and the shading around the numbers completed, I glued the silhouette girl and umbrella in place on the canvas.  I added a little black cord around her dress and tied it in a bow for more interest before I glued her in place.  Once she was completely dry, I gently taped over her with masking tape and added a lid that was the same size as the umbrella curvature.  I taped that in place also.



Then I situated the canvas in an upright position so that when the crayons would begin to run as the heat from the heat gun was passed over them.



Once I thought I had enough runs, I let the crayon wax dry.  That did not take long at all.  Then I removed the cup and the masking tape and here is the result!



Next I created this sentiment on my computer and sized it to fit on the crayons.  I cut it out and glued it in place using DecoArt Liquid Glass.



Then I added Liquid Glass over the top of the letters to make them glossier and have a little definition. In this picture, the Liquid Glass is milky but it will dry to a clear finish.



To finish off the sides of the canvas, I added one of Jane Davenport's new Washi Tapes. Then I added a bit of DecoArt's Media Fluid Acrylics Carbon Black using my fingertip all along the edges of the canvas.  



So that's it!  This was a fun project to do and I'm sure I'll be using this melted crayons technique again.  I love the randomness of it!

I hope this piece has inspired you to join us at Creative Carte Blanche and show us your "NUMBERS" art.  Anything goes.  Use any products and techniques you want to use!  Just join us and share your art and techniques with us!






14 comments:

  1. Absolutely GORGEOUS! Love it!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that's just so FUN AND FANCIFUL Candy. The crayons are so fun and it makes me smile to think of walking thru a shower of crayon rain!!! Love the numbers around the girl. I bet your grandchildren love this creation as much as we do!!! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joi!!It's very different than anything I'd done but it was fun!!

      Delete
  3. The melted crayons are a wonderful detail. I wondered how you did it. I thought you painted the colors on. The little girl with umbrella under the melted crayons beautifully completes the design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this canvas! And what a profound statement for us baby boomers (and really, all humankind)! Carpe diem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredibly artsy canvas Candy. Love the initial layers to get the textured numbers and then the umbrella girl and the fabulous melted colours from the crayons. So 'purple rain' has been extended to 'rainbow rain', so clever xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally,absolutely,fabulously COOL!!
    Candy, you are sooo creative and soooo clever! What a perfect piece! I love this, can you tell??
    Jackie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. WoW, absolutely amazing! The details and the bright colores are fabulous.

    Greetings from Austria,
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love you canvas Candy! I love the melted crayon technique too although mine are usually a lot messier! The crayons look wonderful across the top of your canvas, the drips are beautiful and the little girl image is just so lovely! Another wonderful project! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love your canvas Candy, full of creativity and loveliness. This is so much fun!!! I never tried such thing as far I'm concerned, but I will do one day certainly! Once again, thank you for your wonderful tutorial. Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous use of the melted crayon technique - I love the touch of protecting the umbrella so that the colours flow down either side. Brilliant!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your canvas and what a find the wee umbrella girl. love the textures and layers scrummy Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way the crayons are "raining" down on your little umbrella girl. This is so whimsical and colorful and imaginative. I just can't get enough of it! You are so inspiring, Candy! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!