I started this fun little project this past Monday with a small group of my buddies. We call ourselves "Artchix" and we get together once a month to "play". We started making "BOO BLOCKS". We got the blocks covered while we were together but then had to finish them out on our own.
They are made out of 3 1/2" light weight wooden blocks. The letters are 2" chipboard letters from The Paper Studio that I found at Hobby Lobby. They are painted and then "glitzed" with Pumpkin Orange fine glitter from Art Glitter. The black "things" behind the letters are Reflections flowers I found at Michaels and used as my background. I stickled around the outer edges of the flowers with Orange Peel Stickles...which, against the black background, went a weird green on me...but I love it!
Here is the top of my "B" block. Many of the embellishments came from Michaels' Halloween section. They always have fun stuff to craft with for Halloween.
Here is the first "O" block's top. Does the tree look familiar? It's Tim Holtz' Spooky Tree die cut that I cut twice and fused together by making a slit in both trees...one from the top and one from the bottom of the trunk and just slid them together. Next I hot glued them together. Then I painted the tree with black paint and when dry, I added some Black Diamond Stickles. I made the charms and hung them onto the tree branches.
Here is the other "O" block's top. Again, lots of fun stuff from mainly Michaels to embellish with. The vial is Tim Holtz and the labels are 7 Gypsies. I put the skeleton together using just a skeleton head, a separate Halloween hat and some loose gray "spooky" netting. I clipped off just a piece of the netting and used it for hair on my skeleton. I love the boney hand and the sparkly black spider sitting on it!
Left side view of the blocks
Each side of the blocks are covered with images from Vintage Halloween Postcards that I cropped, sized and printed out on white cardstock for everyone. You will see all of the different designs on the pictures. All are glued into place (actually I used double sided tape to secure them in place on the wooden block), all edges sanded and then distressed with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. Some of the images are printed out twice so I could pop dot them on top of the original. All have some stickles on them; to help "glitz" them up a bit but also add to the vintage feel.
Back view of the blocks
Right side view of the blocks.
These are easy to do and really go pretty fast! I have a set for Valentines' Day and plan on making a Christmas set as well.
I hope you're having a wonderfully creative day! Thanks for stopping by!