Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A FRIGHTFULLY SPOOKY NIGHT

BOO!  Me again with some more Halloween fun


 I love TIM HOLTZ' "Creepy Kids" from his Photo Studio stamp set.  They are perfect for a spooky Halloween tag!  So, let me introduce you to them.  In fact, this entire tag is done using Tim Holtz images and products!


This is a large #10 manila tag.  I first heat embossed (with clear embossing) my "lightening" which is actually the tree branches from Tim Holtz' Regal Findings stamp set (turned upside down).  It does resemble lightening though!  Since this is supposed to be an eerie, stormy night, I distressed the tag using Stormy Sky and Chipped Sapphire Distress Inks. Then I wiped the inks off of the embossed lightening.  I added a little Black Soot in the center of the tag and along the edges.  Next I used Tim Holtz' Spritz and Flick method to add some mottling to the background.  Finally I added some Stardust Stickles randomly on the lightening.  Very spooky!


Next I stamped the creepy kids onto manila cardstock using Jet Black Archival Ink and heat set them.  Then I colorized them using various Distress Ink colors and a small Sakura Water Brush. The colors are:  Milled Lavender for the faces, Spun Sugar for the cheeks, Worn Lipstick for the lips and color trim, Rusty Hinge for the dress, Tumbled Glass for the shirt, Vintage Photo, Scattered Straw, Tea Dye for the hair, Black Soot for the edging.  Then I heat set them.  I then glued the kids onto kraft paper to give them a really sturdy feel and cut them out again.  I edged them with a black cats eye ink pad.


Tim Holtz' Fence is cut out of Grungeboard and painted with Picket Fence Distress Crackle Paint.  Once dry, I added the brown antiquing with Gathered Twig Distress Ink followed by a little black cats eye ink pad at the edges.  It is pop dotted on top of the creepy kids.

The "Happy Halloween" banner is from Tim Holtz' Apothecary stamp set.  It is stamped onto Manila Cardstock using Jet Black Archival.  I tore the two ends of the paper to give them a more rustic look.  Then distressed the banner using Rusty Hinge and Gathered Twig Distress inks.  I edged the banner with Black Soot Distress Ink as well as little Gathered Twig.  


The black cat and the tree behind the kids and fence is also Tim Holtz'.  It's called "Branch Tree".  It is also cut out of Grungeboard.  I cut away the base of the tree and added some extra Grungeboard to give the tree more height.  Then I painted it with Vintage Photo Distress Crackle Paint and let it dry.  When dry, I edged the tree with a Black Soot Distress Marker and drew a few lines to create bark on the tree trunk.  Finally, I added a few Stardust Stickles to represent the reflection of lightening on the tree.  The tree is glued directly onto the tag.  Everything else is pop dotted for more dimension.

The black cat from Tim Holtz' Mini Cat Movers and Shapers, is cut out of Grungeboard and painted with a Black Paint Dabber.  When dry, I added a few Black Diamond Stickles for the lightening reflections.

 
 The bats in flight and the crow perched upon the tree branch are from Tim Holtz' Trick Or Treat and Halloween Minis 2 stamp sets.  They were stamped using Jet Black Archival Ink onto manila cardstock and then cut out, leaving just a hint of the manila cardstock as a border.  I then added just a touch of Black Diamond Stickles to reflect the lightening.


As a final embellishment, I added a Seasonal Muse Token that says "Frightful".  I loved how this tag turned out.  Very dimensional and fun.  I typically don't use a lot of blue in my work but I really love the contrast of the stormy night sky and the "lightening" on this tag!

Thanks for stopping by and have a HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
   

24 comments:

  1. wow am loving those children, they are truly spooky. Fab tag Candy, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this! It uses so many of my fav Tim items - those kids are one of my first stamps! - and is just too cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color of this tag, and the "lightning" is so cool. The creepy kids are aptly named lol. Amazing details as always. Love It!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy smokes, batman...this is so creepy! But I just LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!!!!!! It's perfect in every way!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome spooky tag, Candy! Why do I still not have that stamp? Going on my wish list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh very nice Candy, Spooky but not to creepy. Love that it is blue in the background, a great change from orange and black. The lightening looks brilliant and I love how you have left an outline on the Raven and bat - makes them look really spooky. The kids - they look like the kids I played with as a child (that's me at the back with the sticky out hair - lol). Love everything about the tag. Crafty hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful. I love it all. Halloween is my fave day of the year. Wish we did it like you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that looks really great.
    I love the blue background and the embossed lightening.
    Wonderful Halloween Tag.

    Anke x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fabulous Candy. The Spooky kids are amazing. Fabulous lightning sky and my favourite is the black cat. I just love my two cats, who are totally spoiled !!

    Thank You for sharing your fabulous creativity. Hugs

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Candy I love this tag it really is spooky .May have to CASE this for my collection .
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab spooky tag, Candy! Love your lightning and inked background! Great composition and details - a nice change from the usual skeletons and spiders! A pretty, spooky tag! Lisa X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic tag. Those kids have never looked so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a fantastic tag, Candy, I love all the things you used in different ways to get the affect you wanted. Also, I've been perusing your latest projects, that Jack in the Box, holy crap! Fantastic! And so was the tag before that! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cool! Love how you used tree limbs as lighting! And the kids-I have that stamp. They are perfect for Halloween! Love this tag! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE the colours, Candy!

    That pumpkin-yellow dress absolutely rocks!!!! The incredibly awesome colouring makes your tag pure eye-candy!!!!!

    Hugs,
    die amelie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous tag !!! I love how you used that black cat.
    Best regards Berdien

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous tag, Candy. Love the look, so much dimension in your tag, Such a perfect tag you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fantastic! The colours, the kids, everything combine so wonderfully to make an amazing scene.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A glorious sky on this tag, Candy, and what brilliant use of the children! They have always spooked me a bit, so I completely agree that they work for Halloween, especially with your colouring - very Midwich Cuckoos (filmed as The Village of the Damned - and full of spooky children). Love this from top to bottom!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done with the sky background. Also the upside-down tree for lightening. You've got these techniques down, girl. I'm impressed. xo Anni

    ReplyDelete
  21. PERFECT! Loving everything about this, my friend!

    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Woooow! This all is beautiful!
    Henny

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this! Those children are creepy looking.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!