Thursday, October 4, 2012

A VINTAGE HALLOWEEN SPOOL

Halloween is fast approaching and since it is one of my very favorite holidays to create all sorts of home decor, I'll be sharing some of those with you in the upcoming weeks.

A short time ago, some of my crafting buddies and I got together to decorate some really cool spools we'd bought from Red Lead Paper Works.


Here is my finished spool.  I covered it with those great papers from Graphic 45's Happy Haunting 8x8 paper pad.  I also added some orange and black crepe paper ruffles around the top and bottom.  Then I accented them with Paprika Stickles on the orange ruffle and Platinum Stickles on the black ruffle.  When those were dry, I proceeded to embellish the spool.


The bottom of the spool has some distressed cheesecloth, some sparkly pumpkins and some miniature crows glued into place.  You also see a chain and a skull hanging in this picture.  That is dangling from the "handcuffs" on the skeleton sitting above.


And here is the skeleton who is sitting atop the spool.  He was painted with an off white acrylic paint (as were the other skulls and the fence behind the skeleton).  Then they were all dry brushed with some raw umber acrylic paint.  You can see his "handcuffs and shackles" better in this picture.  I also have added some more pumpkins on the top. 


The black cat is actually a vintage ornament that I found at a local gift store to hang on a tree.  I removed the silver tinsel hanger from the back and added a broom for him to hold.  His body is made out of pipe cleaners.  He has a paper head attached.  Very cute and perfect for my vintage spool.


This is not a great picture of the fence, but you can get the idea.  This was actually a white fence that I painted off white and distressed.  I bought a little roll of this fence at a local gift store.  I loved it and thought it looked like a great haunted house picket fence!  I hot glued the two skulls on either end of the fence and draped a little distressed cheesecloth on it.  It's a great background and perfect to attach my Martha Stewart Witch to!


How perfect is this sparkly silhouette?  One of my crafting buddies gifted each of us with three each.  They are actually the favor that closes one of Martha Stewart's treat bags this Halloween season.  I didn't have to do a thing to her, other than hot glue her onto a black stick running behind her and attaching onto one of the spooky fence posts.

This was a fun project and is currently sitting out amongst all of my other vintage Halloween decor.

Happy Halloween everybody!

16 comments:

  1. This is amazing, Candy! It looks like you dug that vintage treasure out of someone's attic. I LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love your Halloween spool, a fabu,ous home decor piece Candy. Love how,you have aged/given the skulls an ivory tone and I love the skeleton's hand cuffs that then dangle a skull from the spool. Love the fence and this sparkly pumpkins too and the cat and witch silhouette are wonderful. The rosettes of crepe paper are the perfect finishing touch. One to treasure, I love it. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is great! I love it,
    Happy halloween to you too!
    Henny

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so COOL love everything about it and I'm sure it looks awesome with all the other Halloween pieces you're created . Thanks for sharing Candy .
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that cat, he is so cute.reminds me of my cat spesh, even the pipe cleaner body ;)
    great little spool. wish the UK did halloween like you guys x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your fab spool Candy, especially the skeleton with chain. Terrific arrangement, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool piece Candy! Love all the elements, great idea for the spool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Candy, how I envy you being able to pick up Hallowe'en goodies over there, it is picking up here - slowly. I really love the skeleton heads and the handcuffed one (with his legs crossed - so funny) and I also love the crepe paper ruffles. The witch is wonderful too, we have MS over here in the UK this week - maybe she will bring some spooky things.......anyway your vintage spool is a fabulous piece of art that will look wonderful as Hallowe'en decor. Just love it! Crafty hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fantasticaly SPOOKY! :)I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing spoon, love it. I really love the chenille cat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. andy , so sorry I haven't been by to comment for a while been veryoff colour,
    Wow this piece captures all the excitement, vibrancy of Halloween coupled with your skill for these amazing makes!!!! I have mini pumpkin envy ..those are fab fab fab!!!!
    A wonderful and stunning make ...can you tell I LOVE IT!!!! Lve trace. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a Spook-tackular Spool! What a fun center piece that would make.
    Tons of Hugs, Dangina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, wow, wow Candy! You did an amazing job! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your Halloween spool looks so wonderful.
    I like the sparkly pumpkins, the witch, the skeleton...
    everything.I looked at it again and again and everytime I found another amazing detail.
    A fantastic Halloween decoration.

    Anke

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic piece Candy x Halloween is so big in America and I bet your house will be beautifully decorated........this addition is stunning. You must post some photographs x

    Crafty hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic project Candy. Halloween is so big in America and this project will be much admired by visitors. TFS Annie x

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!